Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

Is that the Vinchester - FedEx game (on phone at appt)? That was nuts. FedEx lost so many trebs to those mangudai.

I disagree. If FedEx had kept his trebs alive, instead of sending them in one at a time, he would have won. I think you over estimate how good mangudai are. The camels had done a good job winning, and only started to fall off after FedEx switch to Trebs instead of camels. If he had used the Trebs effectively, or stuck a bit longer to camels, I think the outcome would have differed.

Bit of a mishmash, looks interesting.

Round of 32 is complete as of today. Looks like he will start casting again Friday. So a couple days to catch up.

Sadly i’m not at that level. I tend to win or lose depending on the first player to hit Imperial, at least in 1on1, because once somebody has a Treb advantage they tend to be able to just walk into your base, castling all the way to your main production, since most castle ages turn into stalemates with castles across from each other, and it’s not really possible to stop it. I tend to win like 75% of the time if I hit imp first and lose like 50% of the time if I don’t. The only civ that I can get around this with is the Turks since they get free chemistry and so bombards right when they hit imp. I just lost a game I should have easily won because he got the first treb out. Although I had a ton of mistakes otherwise. Aztecs vs Persian is hard on the Persian xbow / cav thing anyway.

Anyone playing Radio General? The RPS review made it sound really interesting, though I expect I would suck at it.

Iron Harvest gameplay has been hitting the youtubes now that it is in BETA. Some campaign gameplay by a guy named Raptor.

That looks so cool. Is the campaign just a linear thing, though? I really need a dynamic strategic level element in my RTS’s for them to hold my interest.

So you liked Rise of Nations, one of the Dawn of War standalones and… what else? Most RTS don’t have a dynamic strategic campaign.

It’s not as common as I’d like but not nearly as rare as you’re making out. I liked…

Rise of Nations, DoW: Dark Crusade and Soul-whatever, DOW2 and expansions, , CoH2 Ardennes, Northgard’s new Conquest mode, AI War and AI War 2, Sins (where the skirmishes are long enough they might as well be campaigns), the strategic map in Empire at War was pretty good (shame about the ground combat), there’s a lovely mod for Men of War that generates dynamic campaigns, I really liked Close Combat 2, 4, and 5 for this reason, there are others beyond. I’ve struggled a bit with the core gameplay loop, but Offworld Trading Company has a fantastic dynamic campaign for example.

I knew there were a few more, but at that moment I couldn’t think more. And except Close Combat I played them all lol

I feel like I’m still missing some obviously ones but I’m blanking. It also depends a bit on where you put the borders of “RTS” of course, which is always a little nebulous.

The only story-based campaign I ever stuck with World in Conflict, oddly enough. Most of the time I need some strategic context in order for the tactical stuff to keep my attention.

Oh, I just thought of another one: the Eugen Wargame titles (AirLand and Red Dragon) fit this bill.

Emperor: Battle for Dune! It wasn’t extremely dynamic, but each map would populate based on the sector you attacked next and reinforce based on who flanked it and whether Fremen, etc., were present. It had some scripted sequences too, though.

I especially remember Emperor: Battle for Dune because I was playing it during 9/11. It is one of those rare memories that stick. I saw a post on the Battle for Dune forums (wherever that was) and the rest is history.

I bought the Infested Planet - Planetary Campaign DLC, but haven’t played it.

OMG you’re in for a treat.

There’s another outstanding example.

Warlords: Battlecry, jerk! You blanked on the grandaddy of them all? The founding father of dynamics RTS campaigns?

-Tom, raging

I missed that one in its day. I don’t deserve your anger, only your pity!