Realms of Arkania 4 - Shadows over Riva gets a Sequel

Drakensang: The Dark Eye - RPGDot News Posting

Round based combat. Play with a full party. Experienced German developer.

Copying this from OO, I asked Gorath what the developer Radon Labs had been working on recently. They were behind Microsofts Extreme Assault back in 99.

Won’t be out until “4th Quarter 2007” which means maybe 2008… hope it makes it.

That reminds me, I never did finish Shadows Over Riva. I barely even started. I think I gave up after the second or third time my party got horribly crushed in the very first fight after leaving the first town…

It’s definitely the best of the Realms of Arkania games. The focus only on Riva and its immediate surroundings really make it a tighter, more enjoyable rpg experience. And the notorious difficulty of this series makes it that much more satisfying when you finally win it. Oh, and don’t underestimate the simple little spells in the game - IIRC, “blindness” and “turn undead” are low-level but are practically your best spell-friends throughout the entire game purely for the crowd control ability.

I enjoyed Shadows over Riva, although I remember not enjoying the spider queen at the end. It’s a good example of passable graphics but a fun game.

I remember this as the game in which I could buy a lantern but had no idea how to light it because of absurdly complex “where’s the key to open the missile lens cap cover” type design choices.