Reason # a billion why abstinence only education is horrible (no BC)

Abstinence only education in Texas, lack of easy access to birth control, women’s ability to choose a path for her body. This is the kind of thing you end up with. Generations of bad parents have kids who then become bad parents infiinitum. This is also why European culture and their children are in a lot better shape than Americans. The question is - when will Republicans care enough about kids to change policies?

Heat death of the universe?

Whoa whoa whoa.

I thought this article was going to have something to do with the topic title or any of the other things you brought up. It doesn’t.

What evidence do you have that this has anything to do with abstinence only education (which I’m not supporting) or abortion?

You just think because someone had five children they must have been a “victim” of some Republican policies?

What this woman did—leaving five young children alone for a week while she skipped town—can’t be defended and shouldn’t be, but all we know is this mother made a terrible decision about caring for the children she has.

If you want to try to pin this on Republicans, show your work.

She had her first kid at 16… and this is Texas where abstinence only education is taught instead of proper sex ed. Planned parenthood is always under assault there. It seems like she didn’t want to have kids in the first place - leaving them for a week to go party in Myrtle Beach. The oldest kids went to school that week leaving 3 toddlers to fend for themselves.

From NPR article (unaffiliated with first post).

Texas makes it hard for teenagers to get reproductive health care.

In Texas, if a 17-year-old mom wants prescription birth control, in most cases she needs her parents’ permission. “Only us and Utah have a law that if you’re already a parent, you are the legal medical guardian of your baby but you cannot make your own medical decisions without the now-grandma involved,” Daverth says.

That’s part of the reason, she notes, that Texas has the highest rate of repeat teen pregnancies in the country.

After Skylar was born, Chester wasn’t given contraception counseling and still wasn’t sure where to go for help. Three months later she was pregnant again. She and her then-boyfriend, now-husband hadn’t realized she could get pregnant so soon after having a baby. She was a full-time student at UT-Dallas at that point, double-majoring in molecular biology and business administration. But the education Chester never got, she says, was sex ed.

Because of these kinds of policies these 5 siblings are going to end up in foster care, probably split up. It’s just par for the course in Texas and the rest of the country where religion is used as an excuse to not provide proper sex education and support services.

Meanwhile:

Heat death is fake news. See this snowball?

I live in Finland. Trust me, I see enough snow ;)

I’d just like to say that having your children removed from your custody due to terrible parenting is not unique to Texas, nor is it par for the course. It’s a tragedy, but not typical, which is why it made the news.

So you are saying in California this kind of thing (having kids while being a kid) doesn’t happen?

I think that he is stating, based on this one anecdotal piece of evidence, because Texas is so restrictive in their education and access to birth control, this is more likely to happen to teens growing up in Texas.

That is exactly what I’m saying. Anecdotally it seems like these motherly abuse stories tend to happen much more in states with restrictive sex ed and restrictive birth control. Meanwhile Colorado is the perfect example of a state showing everyone how to do it right for the good of the children in their state.

I thought the main part of @JonRowe’s post was the “based on this one anecdotal piece of evidence” line.

You got me… that too. I’m failing at posts as of late.

Don’t worry about it. I really should be the last one to ever complain about what someone posts. :)