Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Yeah, that was my biggest issue last night. Overload (aka Descent 4 in everything but name) was a much easier transition for me. In that one I started on the joystick, but discovered the controller was so intuitive a switch that I didn’t look back. In Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, it’s obvious that the controller is going to have quite the learning curve. Pressing Left Stick in for afterburner I’m used to now after playing enough last night. I’m also getting used to rolling with the right stick now. I’m still not sure how to maintain my vector while turning the ship, but I figure that’s a more advanced lesson for another day. Until then I’m trying to get used to holding the left trigger down to auto-follow.

I’m not sure auto-follow is a good crutch at the beginning of the game though, I feel like I should be getting used to the controller by adjusting the speed of the ship myself.

I think tonight what I’ll try is:

1. Plug in my Sidewinder Precision Pro, and try out HOKAS. (Hands on Keyboard and Stick). That used to be my favorite setup for space sims historically.
  2. Depending on what happens with 1, go back to the controller and try disabling auto-pursuit and try manually adjusting speed, and learning how to maintain momentum (is it a button press that does that, like in the Wing Commander games?)