Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Curious to hear Travis’ take on the Zero Punctuation piece. It was a bit harsh I think. Still funny though.
Ruble Double Bubble. LoL.

Can’t even listen to weaponized snark right now. Post launch I’m just trying to stay alive and wade through the post-partum, and I can’t soak in the acid bath.

Yeah, I hear ya. Keep away from the negative. We all appreciate the extra work you’re putting in with patches, etc. Thanks man!

Since I was back in the Texas system, I joined the Mercenary Guild this time, and took on a high risk strike mission. It seemed impossible at first. If I didn’t go after the target, she would run away, and I’d be stuck behind getting killed by her posse, and if I did go after the target first, she would run away when her ship got damaged and I would get killed by her posse.

So after two or three deaths, I decided to change it up. I called in Richter for the first time. I’ve never called in help before. Boy, it really changes the battle. Suddenly he was occupying the enemy, and I went straight for the target. I got her ship and she ejected, and I still got the message that she ran away. But after I mopped up the rest of the fighters (which took a long time, even with Richter), I scooped up the ejected pilot and it was the bounty! Woohoo! I guess that message that she ran away must be a decoy message sent by the posse to throw me off her scent.

After that I was drunk on power. I remember @Ginger_Yellow’s posts above and decided to try a “Squash” mission type from the Mercenary guild. Richter only stuck around for the first waypoint. After that I went two others, and then I hit a mine and died. Ah well. Sorry I didn’t get to test the Squash mission type tonight. For the record, the first waypoint had turned gray, but not the second one, that one had disappeared I think. But I never got to finish it, so I don’t know. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Not true.

I’ve only gotten gsync to work if I save the settings during the Harvest moon while cutting the throat of a chicken over my PC tower and uttering my Geforce Experience app login credentials in reverse speech.

Buddies are so essential as you go through the game.

yup. I like the pirate chick, Martha.

I think I have reached end-game when it comes to the improvements grind. Dingo with four Tachyon pewpews on it. It just melts the smaller pirates in a shot or two. It also empties the capacitor in like ten shots. But that capacitor loads back up in a second or two so no biggie.

It also fucks up capital ships like a boss. Fun times.

I now rarely use my buddy anymore, but before I got the lvl4 power plant I user her all the time.

Try 4 autocannons and 2 photon cannons for higher damage with less power drain.

Whelp, I just got a ps4 pro from a friend. Hoping the port gets done before the end of the year, Travis.

How do you unlock new ship types? Is this just a story thing, or do you have to do something special. I am in a coyote which is maxed out. I have no reason to earn money anymore, not that I really enjoyed griding for cash. I would really like a ship that had more cargo space even if it had less fire power. The Sonya (whatever its called, the one after the platypus), except it only had low tier mounts.

Listen to the radio @DeepT, one of the commercials is the start of a bread crumb trail…

Or just fly to the Eureka system and dock at Bountyful Vista. It takes some doing but eventually you’ll get access to the Dingo which is exactly what you wish for.

Wish I could have heard it. 5 times, it stopped in the middle and reset to the start. I’m guessing some issue with loading ads on the main page, since every time I started the video, it paused to ‘load an ad’, but never actually showed one.

If you listen to the custom music radio station, you won’t get the commercial. But if you read the hint screens during loads…

That’s a Coyote loadout, Dingo only has 4x gun mounts.

I ran 4x Autocannon and 2x Photon on my Coyote for awhile but didn’t care for it. I switched up to 3x Tachyon and 3x Autocannon and I’m much happier with it. The problem with mixed gun loadouts is that if they have different projectile speeds, and autocannons are slower than EVERYTHING else, then it’s extremely difficult to line up a shot where both hit. At any range beyond point blank the amount of lead for the shot will differ a lot, more than aim assist can compensate for. So I found I was only ever hitting with one type of gun. The 3x Tachyon/3xAutocannon mix is me basically planning to hit with only Tachyons. At point blank range or against big/slow targets the AC damage comes into play too but that’s just a happy bonus.

Photon+Autocannon and its early-game version Mass Driver+Tracer both have nearly matched projectile speeds and ranges.

I’m still in my highly-tricked-out Sandhawk, and I’m finding Photon+Autocannon to be a serious upgrade over what I had before.

I just got a Coyote with 2 photon + 4 autocannons, and I think we’re hitting a limitation in the game in that there is a “best” loadout with no real tradeoffs. The photon cannons/autocannons deal double damage against shields/armor but still deal great standard damage too.

Ships have the same problem, only the top tier of ships can take level 4 power and shields, so you basically choose between trading and combat and that’s pretty much it.

And missiles as well. Traditionally your dumbfire missiles deal a ton more damage than those with advanced guidance, that’s the tradeoff, but not in RGO. Dumbfires would be very useful against capital ships and such if they did maybe 6-8x more damage. I’d like to see torpedos as in later Wing Commanders also. But in RGO, you buy the most expensive missiles and that’s all you need. There’s no reason to have multiple missile hardpoints other than holding more ammo.

Agreed, unlike original Rebel Galaxy this game has very reduced sense of progression. It’s just a matter of playing merchant until you have a pile of money, then buying the best of everything. I have no idea how far I am in the game currently, I’m still working buddy missions and main plotline missions, but I haven’t changed my ship loadout in forever and I have a million credits in the bank with nothing to spend them on except missile reloads.

Yep, that’s probably my only “complaint” (I wouldn’t call it a complaint, just an area I wish were better / expanded on). I got into my coyote with the same loadout as you and realized I was at or near the end of the road, in terms of progression. I had only made it past the second step of the main story and didn’t realize I was chewing through content so fast. I figured there would be a lot of newer/better guns and ships in different systems.

At the very least, I feel like there needs to be more ships that can take T4 equipment. That limitation is really, er, limiting to me.

I predict DLC.

Privateer was the same way. Eventually you could get the best of everything. The only real choice was trade vs combat.

Obviously I’m still on the Platypus in this one, but that felt like the right choice to me in Privateer. The climb to the top was a long one, so once I get up there, I wanted to feel like I had the best of everything instead of having to make compromises based on my needs.