Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

I predict DLC.

Privateer was the same way. Eventually you could get the best of everything. The only real choice was trade vs combat.

Obviously I’m still on the Platypus in this one, but that felt like the right choice to me in Privateer. The climb to the top was a long one, so once I get up there, I wanted to feel like I had the best of everything instead of having to make compromises based on my needs.

DLC would just be more content, but I really think the lack of tradeoffs is a design limitation that should be changed.

Photon cannons should do maybe 1/5th of their current damage, and deal ten times as much damage to shields. Dumbfire missiles should deal 3-4x their current damage, and swarms should deal half. Etc.

The climb is not very long in RGO. There’s an annoying grind at the beginning of the game in the Platypus which I was complaining about a couple of days ago, but once you get your net worth higher you start picking missions worth more, and you accumulate money quickly. I was only in the Sandhawk for like 45 minutes before I got a Coyote, and that’s the best ship in the game.

Yeah, I agree. The climb is actually a little longer if you go the route with owning your own station. It opens up a couple of ships, but it’s still a very short trip to the top overall.

Content is one thing that is not running out. I am constantly getting story mode quests from about 5 or 6 different NPCs now. I actually thought I was done with a couple of them (when they became recruit-able buddies) but that is not the case. Still, it’s going to be less enjoyable going through all of these quests knowing that I’ll never have a better ship or equipment.

Right, I would like to see more ships and equipment locked behind missions, ideally challenging Xwing-style “puzzle” missions, or dropped by specific enemies. Locking all upgrades behind money just encourages grinding at the start, and is largely trivial once you get on your feet in a Sandhawk.

I would buy the shit out of DLC containing new ships and toys. I live for that kind of stuff in these games.

Yep, my only issue with Photon+AC is that the Tachyon has double the projectile speed and that translates into an improvement in longer range accuracy. I can’t really quantify that accuracy improvement but In practice I’m enjoying 3x Tachyon/3x AC more and I’ve tried both. Tachyon+AC is definitely a more power hungry mix than Photon+AC.

Tachyon is a bad tradeoff. It takes 89% more energy than the Photon for only 43% more base DPS and (more importantly) only deals 75% damage to shields.

Also since the Photon and Autocannon projectiles move at essentially the same speed, while leading your target hitting with one will also hit with the other.

Tortilla is right that projectile speed makes a difference for real-world long-range accuracy, though—it reduces the time betweeen firing and impact in which the target can maneuver to invalidate your firing solution.

We’re making freebie additional ships and stuff. In the works.

Speaking for myself only of course, I would happily buy a DLC that included, say, a whole side-mission campaign focused on the religious guys or perhaps an alien incursion, complete with new ships, equipment, and play types. Would like to see bombing missions, torpedos on cap ships, etc.

I wouldn’t be psyched about buying new ships and weapons on their own.

We don’t have any intention of selling DLC at all - just free stuff. Definitely additional ships, maybe some equipment, and had initially planned some more side missions. We’ll see how that all shakes out, but none of it would be for money.
Releasing a mod kit would invalidate any paid-for DLC anyway!

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Patch 1.12 notes

INTERFACE
*You can now view price histories and services for any station from the Sector Map, both on-station, in PDA, and in-flight. Should be very useful for trade!

BALANCE
*Blood Eagle can now use Mk4 Power Plant and Mk3 Shields
*Sequoia can now use Mk3 Shields
*Mission relative difficulty calculations have been reworked - missions should not show as Low and Mild risk as early based on your equipment.
*Several early story mission risk approximations were altered to better reflect their difficulty

BUGS
*Further protections against ever spawning inside a ship
*Fixed a corner case where sometimes autopilot could bring you out into atmospheric burn due to rearrangement to avoid other objects
*In Sim & Old-School modes, mining lasers should not have full aim assist

MISC
*Updated various translations

Good good good.

Your interactions with this community are amazing and I wish it was more common. At any rate, “thanks!”

Why not do it, you just want to move on to the next thing?

Mods typically don’t compete with commercial content for months or years after release. Even something like Skyrim, to this day very few mods compete with something like Dragonborne.

Sweet.Thank you.

No next thing right now - I’ve got to shift to console releases and the modkit itself, and we’ve got folks here who can make stuff while I’m doing that. So… free stuff!
I don’t even know how we’d sell it. I didn’t build the game to accept any ‘locked’ DLC. It’s all DRM-free anyway.

Just sell it as a mod, no need for DRM as the game doesn’t have DRM in the first place. Unless you mean that the Epic store doesn’t support DLC yet, which would definitely be a blocker.

No clue if they do or not! Mostly I’m just not that interested in paid DLC. I’d rather just do it free. WHY WON’T YOU TAKE MY FREE STUFF, HUH?!?