Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

So I’ve now been able to test RGO with a full HOTAS as well as two types of mouse control (virtual stick and relative) and the gamepad is still the best way to play. I mean it makes sense, since it was primarily designed for the gamepad, but it’s really night and day.

I mean those will be great options for those who want them, but a gamepad is ultimately the bees knees.

Still jealous, but good to hear :)

D’aww I wouldn’t have minded at all to conduct an intricate symphony of destruction, a bullet ballet, a missile mazurka and a weaponized waltz with my HOTAS in this game, but it’s allright, there are plenty ways to get that kick.

Gamepads rock \m/

are we there yet? are we there yet? are we?

Each time I click into this thread when it’s updated, I hope for a release date. Or a pizza party with @tbaldree

You…still can. Is this thing on? taptap I specifically said it works with HOTAS setups.

That sounds a little odd, as a joystick can be much more precise. Does the game use aim assist or auto-aim?

I know , but like you said, gamepad is the better option, giving the best feeling of control, yeah?

I agree! No I agree!

Why is it odd? Game was designed primarily for the gamepad, so it makes sense it’s flight modeling would work best with it.

It’s like Freespace 2 was clearly designed for a joystick. I’ve tried it with a gamepad and with the mouse and it is WEIRD.

And with that I went from day 1 purchase to at a minimum of wait to hear how mouse/kb work with it and even leaning now towards not interested because I do not play games with a gamepad and have no interest in playing anything designed specifically for one.

I anticipated this reaction, haha.

I mean, you do you, and to each their own - but BOY have you missed out on an unbelievable number of amazing games!

And I’m completely comfortable with that.

In this case I think it’s odd mostly because historical precedent says that this genre is never designed with M/KB first, and it is almost always not the best way to play.
Some would argue that Freelancer is, but I’m going to utter sacrilege, and say I never liked Freelancer and thought its combat and spaceflight was very tepid.
Apart from that, what space sim was designed with M/KB foremost?

Kerbal :) it’s awful with a gamepad

I’m not sure that counts as a combat space sim ;)

The original Wing Commander. Having said that, I’m with tbaldree, only gaming on a kb/m is a choice that eliminates a significant amount of great games.

I’m pretty sure wing commander was designed with a stick as the ideal. Most players just happened not to have one.

This is just stupid. Insanely stupid. The game works great with mouse and keyboard, but because it’s not primarily designed for that, you’re not gonna play it?

Well, enjoy all those Freelancer mods for the rest of your life, I guess. You whiny baby man.

Sorry, this is bullshit. This, and other games of this era, we’re designed primarily for joysticks because people actually had them back then.