Rebel Galaxy

Yeah, I played it for a bit. Quickly lost interest.

The trailer for that was a great example of going from unaware to hyped to completely uninterested in a single video. Giant capital ship broadside-based combat? Yes, please! Oh, a PVP MMO? Hard pass.

Yea, I felt exactly the same. Why or why did it need to be MMOy?

Because with pvp mmo you have a couple things that make sense business wise: engaged players will pay for things like microdlc and shit, continuous income ftw.

Furthermore, you can stop at building some mechanics and graphics. No need for AI that can play the game, which as we all know is a hard problem. No need for a bunch of authored single player content.

It’s just a cheap way of cashing in on a half baked game.

So say us all. I was all Leonardo “You have my attention” up till I realised it was MMO. As I get older I want to play my pace and action MMOs aren’t where it is.

Like most indy MMO’s it will die fairly soon do to a lack of player base, as it becomes a self fufilling prophecy as there aren’t enough players and no one will buy/play the game because there aren’t enough players.

Also, on a side note, I think it is very strange having these huge warships hugging the terrain on planets rather than fighting it out in space.

There was a space MOBA for a while, but they went pay to win after a while.

Now, it’s official no longer running, but some players have set up a few servers, and have unlocked everything.

Fractured Space

Great idea, until they went Pay to Win with the ability to buy crew. Before that, you needed to grind or pay to unlock ships, but they were mostly balanced.

You could even play as a Carrier, launching bombers. Or a stealth ship, or basically a giant Turret.

Saw on Epic store this one is free currently…

This is a great game, I’m also sad that they focused on single-pilot action, of which there are just a literal TON of games competing and they ended up making something that just wasn’t very fun either.

So I hope they make a sequel, there are LITERALLY almost no games like this out there, only the first of the Starpoint Gemini games had similar and it was poor compared to this kick ass title.

Broadsides baby.

Agreed and agreed. I played RG many times. I played like half of RGO and quit.

Travis retired from making games, unfortunately (for us).

He did? How did I miss that?

You probably bailed on the RGO thread when you bailed on the game. :)

Ah. That actually explains it. Now I feel guilty. :(

If I had a criticism of RGO in particular, it’s that the whole thing felt “Southwest US” (which is fine) but all the “hardworkin’ space traders” you rescued were invariably white trucker types. It didn’t feel multi-ethnic like the real Southwest is. I dunno, I enjoyed the game as far as I got (but the stupid story mission where you have to disable 5 cop ships was impossible for me, so I got stuck), but that bothered me a bit.

What does that mean? IME differences in day-to-day interactions with truckers in Texas didn’t break down along ethnic lines.

I really didnt like the Texas focus of Freelancer and RGO wasn’t as bad.

It was just an impression, but it felt like the only humans in that part of space apart from the odd bartender were white folks (in RGO-- not so much in the first game). I still enjoyed what I played of both games.

Did you play Freelancer for more than a few hours? Eventually you go to Space Germany, Space Britain and Space China.

I finished it! But I’m old and senile so forgot about the rest.