Rebel Galaxy

Almost certainly not a carrier, because dealing with bringing your fighters back in before leaving is a big old mess at the speed we move around. We MIGHT do some sort of drone launch component - but maybe not. As soon as we do, that starts to limit the number of fighters that we can dump into big action setpieces so that we can accommodate it, and it might not be worth the tradeoff. It’s more likely that we’d up the simultaneous merc count, or have some mercs which are effectively ‘groups’.

How about one shot expendable drones? That way you don’t have to recover them. They act just like fighters. Give the ship some ability to manufacture them so that you don’t have to buy them after every use, but make their manufacture take long enough that you can spam them in a fight - you only get to launch them once/battle with no after battle recovery.

Yeah, that’s what I mean by a drone launch component. Basically they are missiles that can shoot.

That’s good news – I really hope there is no single best ship size.

As for carriers, I also hope you can make them work someday. I can’t be the only person who’d like to name their ship The Tiger’s Claw ;)

I’d like to be able to paint my ship’s name on the ship itself (even if it’s just a predetermined location on each ship class) assuming we ever get to actually name the ship. Add in some bare-bones color customization to add a bit of longevity and a personal touch, and that would be a fantastic package.

Or fly around in a Battlestar-type of ship with a nice missile/fighter mix ready to go.

I love this idea.

So do I.

Also, I hope the soundtrack is made available somehow, because it’s awesome and I’ll buy it instantly.

Apparently that’s not likely because of licensing issues (cost, perhaps) according tothis dev post. But yes, I’d pay more for a collector’s edition if it included the soundtrack.

Although in your defense, the mission that made me ragequit and post that comment probably would have been a looooot easier if I had swapped out my standard armament for a bunch of flak turrets and stuff. It is one of the pick up missions where you have to take on a fleet of fighters.

Hopefully, there will be mod tools, so we can add custom mercs :)

Can always use more space games that let me play a big capital ship instead of it just being another dog fighting simulator.

This looks cool. Key plz? :P

God damned right.

Preview keys have expired.

Can’t see from Steam or within this thread, but is there a release date for this yet?

Hmm. My two cents:

Honestly that to me sounds like a perfect risk/reward mechanic. You can use the drones, but there’s a risk that they will be destroyed or left behind if you are not careful, and you need to buy new ones like you’d deal with ammo. Don’t think that’d be a problem to any players.

Or if you want to avoid the hassle of getting new ones, you could imagine having a “3d printer” on the ship that can slowly produce new ones.

I do see the technical concerns, but having said that giving the player more agency through different tactics (drones vs turrets) would make the game feel deeper and gives the player a sense of volition. And seeing your drones attacking enemy ships gives the setpieces in a similar way a sense of scale.

Oh, good idea!

That ‘Hob’ thread reminded me that I’m looking forward to this game :) Any recent newsbits?

We’re getting close to the end. Release date announce pretty soon! :)