Rebuild: welcome to the Qt3 zombie apocalypse

The game is Rebuild, a port to the iPhone of a sequel to a Flash-based web game. Which sounds pretty underwhelming, but I consider it one of the best zombie games I’ve ever played (review here).

If you play Rebuild as a score-based game, it’s worth trying on the impossible difficulty level. This almost guarantees you will lose, but it doubles your score. You get points for pretty much everything, from enduring another night to killing zombies to recruiting survivors. Holding out long enough in an impossible game will get you more points than winning an easier game. What’s more, the harder difficulty levels do a great job capturing the bleakness that characterizes any good zombie story.

So that’s what we’re doing: a game of Rebuild on impossible, in a typical sized city, with the randomly chosen starting equipment for our initial leader. When new characters show up, to determine their names, I’ll randomly pick from a pool of volunteers for that character’s highest skill. If you’d like to throw your name into the pool, go to this thread.

Each turn represents a day, so I’ll take a turn every day and keep you guys abreast of how things are going and what I’m planning. Most of the games I’ve played on impossible are lucky to last longer than a few weeks. So good luck to you all. You’ll need it.

-Tom

Here is the overall roster of QuarterTown’s citizens, living and dead :

ALIVE
Nixxer
Jarrodhk
Kyrios
Tim James
Delta
Shieldwolf
jeansberg
Rob O’Boston

DEAD
Ed Solomon, killed in a zombie attack

Our story opens with Nixxter – and his dog – as our lead character.

They arrive at QuarterTown on January 21st. This won’t be easy. As you can see, we’re playing on the impossible difficulty level.

So who lives in QuarterTown? The newest arrival is Nixxter and the dog, which the game has named Rowlf. Rowlf works like a piece of equipment, adding half a point to Nixxter’s combat and scavenging skills.

Is that a pug, Nixxter? Who brings a pug to a zombie apocalypse? Our fighters are the fresh-faced Jarrodhk and the serious-business combat chick Kyrios.

Kyrios looks like she will knock you the eff out if you make some crack about her haircut. Speaking of haircuts, our handyman Ed Solomon is rocking some serious muttonchop sideburns.

Meet our scavenger Tim James and his dreadlocks.

He’s going to have his work cut out for him. Why? We’ll take a look at QuarterTown in the next post and you’ll see why.

Welcome to Quartertown, population 5.

Looks innocuous enough, right? Let’s toggle the filter that shows the concentration of zombies in territories we’ve scouted.

Okay, so now we can see the population is way more than 5. It’s actually 74 if you count the zombies milling around the walls. Yellow squares mean a few zombies. Red squares mean a lot of zombies. Check out the mall to the north (which we’ll henceforth call North Mall).

North Mall is bad news. Any given night we might be attacked by the zombies that have collected around the walls. The chance of zombies getting in or hurting someone are displayed at the top of the screen next to the yellow triangle.

That number is based on the number of nearby zombies and our defenses, which are largely a matter of who’s in the compound to defend us. Anyone out on a mission won’t be able to help us. Later, we might be able to build up our defenses. But even then, there’s a constant tension between advancement and safety. My goal is to never let the danger level get above 20%. But that’s not always possible. Sometimes we can’t afford to leave people sitting around in case we get attacked. Sometimes we’re going to be vulnerable. The trick of Rebuild is getting lucky during those vulnerable times.

We control four city blocks consisting of a police station for defense, a suburb and apartment building for living space, and a single farm. For early expansion, you want to build up your food infrastructure with more farms. We don’t have that option for a while, as there are no bordering farms. Our best hope for adding farms to our territory is on the other side of North Mall, and Jarrodhk and Kyrios aren’t powerful enough to clear it out yet. So Tim James is going to have to do the heavy lifting when it comes to feeding everyone. We’re going to have to rely on scavenging instead of farming for a while.

Overall, our first priorities are 1) stocking up on food, 2) securing a hospital, and 3) then building up a food infrastructure so we don’t starve. Our second priorities are keeping the zombies thinned out so we can withstand attacks, recruiting more survivors, and finding a source of booze or God to keep up morale. Having played this game several times, I can tell from our set up that we’re in trouble when it comes to food and morale. We’ve been dealt a bad hand. We’ll have to do the best we can.

To start the process of stocking up on food, Tim James will scavenge the friendlier South Mall, but he won’t be going alone. Nixxter hands over, Rowlf, the zombie apocalypse pug. Tim needs the boost to his scavenging and combat skill more than Nixxter. And because Tim’s scavenging skill is so low at this point, he’s bringing Jarrodhk and Kyrios to keep him safe and help him carry more food. Nixxter, now dogless but trying not to be a big sissy about it because it’s just a stupid dog – and a pug, too boot – heads out into the nearby suburbs to recruit a survivor.

The results and day two will be posted tomorrow.

This should be great! I can’t wait to show up and die!

I don’t even think I’ve beat this game on Normal. Impossible is going to be rough!

Finally, something to do while I’m not playing Diablo 3.

I once kicked this game’s butt on impossible. You can see the results of that in Gamecenter, where I’m pretty pleased to sit in the top 5% with 289,000 points. Suck it, Gamecenter friends!

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that my high scoring game was a real fluke. I got lucky. Every game I’ve played since then has gone horribly south at some point. Some more south than others. We’ll see how this turns out, but as I’ve said, it’s probably not going to end well.

-Tom

Tom, can you post the danger level & chance of success when you send people on missions? If you’d rather avoid hard numbers, though, that’s understandable.

I played the hell out of this on Kongregate (I think it was) last year when I should have been working. I was amazed at how well it worked and built tension all the while providing you with opportunities to make meaningful decisions.

On the iPhone? Sold. Who is to say if I will play it as much, but it is well worth giving her my money for the enjoyment I have already received.

Thanks Tom, for bringing the game to my attention. It was on Androidstore as well, so I bought the game (Yes, people with Android phones actually buy games as well, instead of pirating).

Absolutely! I think Tim, Jarrodhk, and Kyrios had an 18% (?) danger level when they headed to the South Mall last night. It was higher than I would have liked. And I know specifically that Nixxter had a meager 47% chance of success when he headed out to recruit. Buncha n00bs.

-Tom

I just bought the shit out of this. I had no idea it’d gotten an iOS port.

Ditto, looking forward to starting up a game, this looks fun.

I don’t even think I’ve beat this game on Normal.

Really? I’ve found it pretty hard to lose on Normal. There’s basically no food or morale pressure unless you are really stupid about which bits of land you clear. As long as you don’t needlessly lose people on dangerous missions, it’s just a matter of time before you win.

Thanks Razgon, for letting us know it’s on the Android store :) Boughted.

Same here. Didn’t know the game existed. But since I’m probably going to die a horrible death here, I deserve a second chance. :)

Wendelius

Oh, awesome game. Easy purchase, definitely.

Never heard of this before but just had fun playing a game through on Kongregate. Thanks Tom! :)

Ditto, bought. Had a good time with it on Kongregate, seems perfect on mobile.

When do we start putting down bets on longevity?