Rebuild: welcome to the Qt3 zombie apocalypse

As far as I know, the only effect of placing characters on guard duty, is that they are removed from your pool of idle characters, and gradually gain soldier skill. Since game events will often punish you harshly for not having someone on guard duty, it is essentially a convenience to ensure that you do not forget about it.

Without getting too spoilery, are there specific triggers to the different endings? That is, if I wait long enough will opportunities present themselves, or is the ending determined choose your own adventure style by responses to the varying events?

Some endings are always available (e.g. losing; conquer all territory).

Some storylines are based on random events which may eventually happen. Last Judgment Gang seems to always show up; others are rarer (or maybe just take longer?).

Some storylines are based on specific tiles that may or may not exist on a given map. Some are rarer than others. (I think there’s always a City Hall.)

Quite a long delay this time. Maybe its all over and you died and he just can’t bring himself to write it up. ;-)

Yeah, haha. Thanks for this reference Tom. I actually read it in Oldman’s voice in my head before I saw you made the joke right there in your post :)

I just remembered of this thread after reading Tom’s post about the best 2012 games so far. Any plans to continue the playthrough?

I’m assuming his comment in the article about the game he resigned from because he felt so bad about what was likely to happen was referring to this. Would have been nice if he’d shown up to at least say so here, though.

Yeah, can’t believe I missed that! I guess I was just blind from wanting so much for the playthrough to continue. Oh, well…

Um, I don’t understand. Can you give us a little more detail? I was really enjoying each entry.

I’ll catch us up again shortly. I at least want to see how long we can hold out now that hordes are rolling in.

But as I mentioned on the front page, it started to be a minor source of anxiety playing a turn a day. :) Kind of like PBEM in a game you know you’re losing. But I’ll just run us though several turns at a whack and play us through to the end.

-Tom

Or use a Mulligan and start over :)

Oh, a loss is still worthy of a solid finish to the stor!

I’ve never actually played a game to a loss, since once you’re on a downward spiral it’s pretty clear what’s coming. And as your familiarity with the game grows, you can see where the downward spiral begins earlier and earlier. So, maybe Tom saw failure in our future earlier than I could, but we seemed to be treading water from the last turn or so posted.

I’ve played a few games on Impossible, and the only times I have won, I went as quickly as I could to research turrets, and basically stopped attacking with an army. I would use the turrets to do the killing, and then try to quickly capture with my builder pros. I would win by dominating the whole map.

Anyone else have different strats for impossible?

As I was waiting for turns in a few asynchronous games I finally gave this one a real go and it started to really show its character. I am curious to see how much content is there as the best part for me is the story that devlelopes from events, choices, what happens, and to whom. I have a real doozy going on with a crazy man I let into the camp now. Good times.

Anyway, how do I lower overall zombie counts. I have had several swarms show up and while I weathered it the count and danger level is high making me need to keep everyone defending at the police station. Does this help lower the count or should I risk attack and be sending waves of soldiers out to clear out tiles of Zeds?

Who votes that Tom starts up another game on his shiny new iPad? raises hand

I vote he finishes the current one AND starts a new one! =P I really enjoyed Tom’s story time in this thread.

I’d enjoy it even more if I had ever gotten recruited. I even went away on vacation for two weeks, hoping upon my return to find out that I became zombie chow. It didn’t happen. Grumble grumble.

Unless you have the tech for turrets, sending men out on “Kill zombies”-missions is the only way to lower the zombie count on surrounding tiles, AFAIK. Also, when you are attacked, the attackers are drawn from the surrounding tiles, so that naturally lowers the count.

Wait. This just… stopped.