Rebuild: welcome to the Qt3 zombie apocalypse

Nixxter carefully picks his way through a nearby suburb, where we’ve seen someone loitering around. His leadership is still low, so he’s only got a 47% chance of successfully recruiting. But he makes the roll and convinces a new citizen to come live in QuarterTown. The new citizen has a single point in leadership, so referring to this poll, I count the number of folks in the leadership category and use this site to roll a number as follows:

The newest member of QuarterTown is Delta. Who’s in dire need of a hairbrush.

No offense intended to Delta, but leadership is probably the least valuable trait early in the game. It’s only useful for recruiting, and we don’t want to over-recruit since food is going to be a precious commodity until we get some farms going. However, in the longer run, leadership characters can be put to work adding morale. Nixxter or Delta are likely to end up pouring shots or preaching the Word. But there’s no sign of a church or bar yet. Which will we find first? Will QuarterTown be a religious sanctuary or a partytown? I hope we’ll last long enough to find out.

In other news from the first night’s forays, who’s a good boy? Who’s a good boy? Rowlf’s a good boy! While Tim James was gathering food, everyone’s favorite zombie apocalypse pug found a backpack!

This awesome bit of equipment adds two points to a character’s scavenging skill. A character can only have a single piece of equipment, so Tim James doublestraps his bitchin’ new backpack and passes Rowlf over to Jarrodhk, who is now a dual class fighter/scavenger with a dog. A pug. But a dog nonetheless.

While Tim heads out to get more food from a lightly infested farm (10% chance of danger, 23% chance of finding an item, 10 days worth of food), it’s time to implement QuarterTown’s health care plan. Illness and injury are inevitable. To minimize the downtime for the sick and hurt – and there will be sick and hurt – and to avoid potential deaths, we need at least one hospital. The only silver lining so far in our starting set-up is that we’ve got two adjacent hospitals.

First we have to get the zombies out. A Kill Zombies mission takes two days. If it succeeds and the tile is cleared, Ed Solomon will take four days to extend the barricade around that tile. With any luck, we’ll have our first hospital within a week. So Kyrios, Jarrodhk, and Rowlf sally forth for two days of zombie killing in an abandoned hospital (14% chance of a mishap). Stay safe, gentlemen. Well, gentleman. And lady. And dog. Stay safe, y’all.

To earn his keep, new arrival Delta is sent to scout out a school to the south. That’s the direction we’re going to expand. Let’s get a better look at what’s out there. Scouting reveals food and new recruits, and it identifies the number of zombies in that tile. It also reveals adjacent tiles, which helps us find the buildings we need and gives us advance warning of approaching hordes.

Meanwhile, Nixxter and Ed Solomon are left on defense. They break out a boardgame and hope that the 71 zombies milling around the walls – up from 69 yesterday – don’t attack.

The results and day three tomorrow.

For what it’s worth, taking and fortifying those two malls would be a huge boost to your defense.

Awesome! Thanks for letting me play a game vicariously through you, Tom.
(long rant about not playing any games lately deleted.)

Now shoo! Don`t infect me any of your zombie germs!

Hahaha! So cool.

Yep, it’s on the list of things to do in the long term, once Ed Solomon gets a bit handier with that hammer.

Of course, grabbing a two-tile building like a mall also extends your border so there are more zombies touching the compound, and therefore a greater danger level when they attack. Like anything else in Rebuild, it’s a trade-off. But I do like that the malls are up snugly against our starting area rather than extending lengthwise into the city. All told, I’d rather have farms and a morale building nearby.

-Tom

Bear in mind you need a level three builder to fortify a mall, and it looks like you’re in the very early game now, so it’s not worth taking just yet.

Don’t hold your breath. My free time is devoted to beard maintenance.

It’s a little known fact zombies fear facial hair. It’s why so few Civil War generals ever succumbed to the undead hordes.

You know what they say about no news.

At this point, we’ve got ten days worth of food. I’m reluctant to recruit new mouths to feed until I’m confident we can get to those farms on the other side of the North Mall, or at least until I see more food for Tim to gather. There are only a few scraps of food in the suburbs to the west, but there’s a 25% chance of getting an item. So Tim heads out to collect what he can. A couple of zombies in the suburbs give the mission an 11% chance of a mishap. Which I like to think of as an 89% chance of no news.

Delta goes east to scout out an All*Mart. Jarrodhk and Kyrios are still clearing out the hospital.

The results and day four tomorrow.

I am floundering out here waiting to be rescued. Damn your lack of food stores.

Thanks to this thread, I ended up buying this last night (Android version) even though I very rarely play games on the move. Bloody QT3.

I want to live…live damnit, put me in the hat.

Who needs to be on-the-move? I’ve totally been playing at my desk in my down-time and at home while watching TV. :-)

Yeah, I lost my entire lunch hour to it. My gang is great at the zombie slaughter and the scavenging but woefully lacking builders and in desperate need of a hospital. I think I know what I’m doing on the train home…

The problem is, games like this tend to create “down-time” for me. I can’t tell you how much productivity has been lost to Ascension.

I am much in need of a hairbrush. Though I’m not quite that shabby. And if it comes down to it, I’d rather be pouring shots than preaching the word. Actually, I’d rather be pouring shots whilst preaching the word.

Hey I’ll take a spot if you need another person, Tom :)

I believe Tom is using the results from the poll he linked to in the OP to select participants. So you’ll need to go vote in that in order to be included as possible future zombie food.

What Ty said. You guys go vote in this poll. From there, it’s up to the dice.

-Tom

How do you stand playing this game one turn at a time? I can’t do it. I start playing the game, and have to keep making turns just to see what happens next.

Dadgummit.

I knew I was pushing it to leave us that vulnerable (29%), but I figured it was early. Surely zombies won’t attack on day four, right?

Okay, here goes…

And we’re fine. Good work, Ed Solomon and Nixxter.

Jarrodhk and Kyrios have cleared the hospital, so it’s time to send Ed Solomon in for the long four-turn construction process. No one get sick or hurt for the next four turns!

Delta reports there isn’t much food in the Allmart, but there’s a good chance (45%) we’ll find an item. So Tim James takes Jarrodhk (and Rowlf). The chance of a mishap is only 10% and the chance of finding an item is 45%.

The results and day five tomorrow.