Rebuild: welcome to the Qt3 zombie apocalypse

Hordes are displayed in fog no matter how deep.

I just won a game of Rebuild 2 on Kongregate on Huge/Impossible. There went my entire evening and night… damn you, Tom. Damn you!

stretches Felt great, though.

Turtling turned out to be the key; I expanded only to the East/South, and on the West and North sides simply kept sweeping with kill missions to keep the zombies down. It got to the point that I was expending almost, but not quite all, of my soldiers’ time doing so safely, but I was also slowly getting more mans with which to do the sweeping, and they were all leveling up off the missions.

I scavenged a ton of food to keep it going, and Gunter would occasionally come by to buy some item (and I’d always sell it, because after all, you can always shuffle people around a little to get what you want in terms of danger%).

Does make me wish I had a smartphone, though, because I love this game, and would love an even more awesome version. I mean, seriously, machine gun nests? Awesome.

Machine GUn Turrets are upgrades on watch towers - watch towers give insta-scout, so you actually normally don’t want to waste your time scouting where you are going to place these.

A nice uneventful night! Except for the appearance of a weird book:

This is the beginning of one of the “storylines” in Rebuild. We can use the morale boost, so everyone is allowed to read the book. Happiness goes up by 10%, offsetting the setbacks from Jarrod’s illness and Ed Solomon’s injury.

Day 12 missions:
Nixxter and Kyrios killing zombies at the lab
Shieldwolf building at the North Mall
Ed Solomon building at the hospital
Delta and Tim James scouting farms
Jarrodhk still recovering
Jeansberg on defense (21% chance of a loss if we’re attacked)

So, I’ve never played a zombie game excepting the RPG type. No zombie apocalypse, don’t play shooters, and I don’t like scary games. Despite this, I still bought this game today. Granted, I still haven’t played it as Ascension and Diablo are time consumers but I’m guessing this’ll have a much better chance than all those cheap games filling up my Steam list that I’ve never installed. Looks intriguing, and at a buck how can you go wrong?

I’m going to be quite irritated though if I end up loving it and then backfilling my Steam list with another 15 games I’ll never play.

Just do what I do: think of it as WINNING the Steam back catalog mini game.

Gustav the merchant is back, and he’s brought along the love caravan!

Unfortunately, we can’t afford to be cavalier with food at this point.

The scouting paid off, as the two farms we scouted each had 15 rations worth of food. Which will eventually add six days to the time it takes everyone to starve to death. Check out all the bounteous farmland:

Day 13 missions:
Tim James, Jarrod, and jeansberg scavenge from one of the farms (11% chance of mishap, 49% chance of finding an item)
Shieldwolf building at the North Mall
Ed Solomon building at the hospital
Delta and Nixxter scout suburbs
Kyrios on defense (17% chance of loss if attacked)

Looks like there’s some zombie build up in the apartments to the west… Hope they don’t get antsy!

Dang, I was in the mood for some companionship and afraid to hold hands with Kyrios.

This is fantastic. The only problem is that I think I’m enjoying reading about Tom’s Rebuild experience far more than I’d enjoy playing it myself, even at $0.99. I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger, with the already-purchased iOS game backlog I’m already facing (Waking Mars, more Pandemic 2.5, Pirates!, Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery), Infinity Blade II).

This has made me re-read selected Walking Dead graphic novels, though.

I don’t know. It’s an addictive, one more turn kind of game. And with the ability to rename all the survivors, it develops mini narratives you care about. For that price, I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet.

Wendelius

“I like this one,” Ed Solomon refills his glass from a bottle with a label that reads ‘Farmer Johns Favorite Grove’. It has a picture of a cow and a goat.

“Are you kidding me?” Delta roars. “That’s practically cooking wine.”

“I like it. It’s the one I like. Tastes like cherries.”

“I don’t even think it’s wine. It’s not fit for the dogs.”

Nixxter throws a tennis ball. Rowlf and Scamp dash after it.

“I like it,” Ed steadies himself on Tim’s shoulder. “Tim found it and Tim gave it to me and I like it.”

“Here, try this one.” Kyrios pours from another bottle into Ed’s glass.

“Oh god, you’re mixing wines,” Delta says. “I can’t look.”

“Shieldwolf?” Kyrios holds out the bottle to pour into his glass.

“I’m good.”

“Which one are you drinking? The Merlot?”

“No, this is just water. I’ve got to get up early to finish up the North Mall.”

“Come on, live a little. I think some of these bottles are actually good.”

“I actually don’t drink. I’ll be ten years sober this September.”

“Oh. They still have that? Well, in that case, shouldn’t the last year should count double or something?”

“You’re not drinking either,” Shieldwolf notes.

“We’re going out tonight to clear the other hospital. I’m saving a bottle for when we get back.”

“Okay, everyone, it’s time to cut the ribbon,” Ed staggers up onto a table, waving a pair of shears. “Turn down the music. Nixxter, come over here.”

A strip of faded red cloth hangs across the hospital doorway. A sagging bow has been tied into the center of the strip. The entrance was formerly an automatic glass door, but in the absence of electricity, it is now a sliding corrugated metal panel with a latch on the inside. Just in case.

“Ladies and gennlemen, I present the Quartertown Memorial Hospital. Nixxter, if you would kindly cut the ribbon.”

“This is your baby, Ed. You do the honors.”

Ed snips the cloth and everyone cheers. “Okay, let’s take a tour. Wait till you see the MRI thing! Who wants a free CAT scan? Who wants a X-ray? Have your insurance cards ready!”

“I need those back.” Jarrod takes the shears, which he’ll later take apart and re-attach to broomsticks for tonight’s sortie. Quartertown is now a little bigger, and the surrounding zombies are starting to press in a little harder.

Day 14 missions:
Tim James put to work on the farm to minimize food consumption by one point
Jarrod, Kyrios, and Jeansberg begin zombie killing mission in the hospital to the west

Another one of the storylines in Rebuild is the option for the leader to secure his own individual victory condition at the expense of the rest of the survivors.

Will Nixxter take this path? Of course not!

Day 14 results:
All’s quiet, which is perfect for hangovers from the grand opening celebration for the hospital

Day 15 missions:
Tim still working the farm to minimize food consumption
Jarrod, Kyrios, and Jeansberg finishing up their zombie killing mission

I see you’re about to add the North Mall to your town even though it still has some food left to scavenge in it. Will you still get the food once it gets occupied? I know survivors scatter to adjacent territories, but I can’t really see cans of hash running away from those scary guys with the hammers.

You get half of the food, iirc.

I just found this game on the Android Market a few days ago, and am totally hooked. Just an amazing little game. :)

Just chiming in to say I’m really enjoying reading the posts, Tom.

See why we need hospitals?

Without our brand new hospital, that event would have knocked Jeansberg out of commission for three turns.

It turns out we have pretty uneven levels of movie awareness among the survivors. Jarrodhk knows Land of the Dead.

But Shieldwolf has never seen Dawn of the Dead?

For shame.

Day 15 results:
The North Mall is ours, but Ed Solomon isn’t a good enough builder yet to make it a defensive structure

Day 16 missions:
Tim James still working the farm
Kyrios and Jeansberg clearing out one of the newly adjacent farms
Shieldwolf starting work adding the second hospital to our territory

Loving your storytelling Tom! How highly do you value laboratories? I see there’s one right next to you and you have not mentioned it yet.

Actually he has sent guys there a couple of times to keep the zed population down. I think they are tough to fortify?

Why bother with the second hospital right now? AFAIK having more then one does nothing for you. You can convert it to housing, of course, but that takes time and you have an apartment building adjacent that would be quicker as far as expanding housing space.