Rebuild: welcome to the Qt3 zombie apocalypse

Yes, but we’re specifically waiting for people to heal up and then we’ll start fighting back again. They shouldn’t get too bad in a turn or two.

I don’t think we’re in such bad shape yet. We’re pretty well stocked for food at the moment, and there are some visible survivors to shore up numbers in the mid-term.

If you place someone on guard duty in the police station, I believe they also thin zombie numbers a bit. This also increases their soldier skill and I believe reduces the overall risk of loss during an attack (preemptive warning?)

Out of curiosity, Malkroth, what’s your source for that? As I mentioned previously, the developer told me that staffing a police station reduces that chance that you’ll lose an adjacent territory in an attack, but it has no effect on whether you suffer a loss during the attack. And as near as I can tell, it certainly doesn’t kill any zombies.

-Tom

Could possibly have been changed, but when I played the web version and staffed the police station, I would get messages every couple of days about my people killing zombies around the walls and my danger level went down just by staffing one person there (adding more than one had no effect on danger level).

I don’t have a smart phone device to test this on the newer version though.

I could also be misremembering things. I am not above making mistakes. =\

I like the sound of that. I could be wrong, but I don’t think that’s happening on the iPhone version. I’ve never gotten those messages, but maybe I’ve just never left someone in a police station long enough. As near as I can tell, the police station assignment is mainly a way to put someone on defense so he’s not available when you assign other missions.

-Tom

Tom,

When I staff my police station, the threat percentage goes down, and the town’s ability to weather attacks goes up. My guys also get better with their combat skill over time.

That’s odd, Dreamshadow. You’re seeing this on the iPhone version?

I just now tested it. Assigning someone to the guard duty mission in the police station has no effect on the town’s “total defense rating”, and it has no effect on the “danger of loss during attack” rating, both displayed on the danger tab of the reports. I’ve tried by assigning people with and without combat skill.

Could it be a difficultly level issue? I’m playing on impossible, which is how real men play Rebuild. But maybe the lower difficultly levels have different rules for defense?

-Tom

I had the same experience as Dreamshadow, but I’ve never played above challenging (second highest difficulty.) I’m playing on android.

I’m only on challenging, and I’m not looking at the reports. I’m only look at the threat sign on the main screen… I didn’t even know there was that kind of report inthe game. :)

And I was just one day from retirement.

And they hit us again.

No losses, no injuries, no sweat. And now Jarrod is out of the hospital and Kyrios is back from clearing out the nearby farm. Shieldwolf, our new handyman, starts building up the barricade around the farm.

Nixxter and Delta go to a nearby suburb to recruit another survivor. With their political prowess, they have a 95% chance of success.

Day 23 results:
Attack with no losses

Day 24 missions:
Shieldwolf building farm
Nixxter and Delta recruiting a new survivor
Tim James scouting an apartment building

Another attack, but it’s not zombies.

This time, they don’t get away with any of our food. I like to think it’s because Kyrios is packing a hunting rifle.

Nixxter and Delta return with a new survivor. Welcome, Rob O’Boston.

So you’re good at leadership? Ah. Swell. Let’s just put you to work in the farm for the time being. If we ever get a church or bar, we won’t be wanting for staff.

But the really big news is that our first horde is on the way. In three days, we’re going to get hit really hard.

One of the best things we can do until then is thin out the surrounding zombies. The horde is three days out, which gives us time for a single two-day sortie. Jeansberg and Kyrios head into the South Mall, where 24 zombies are milling about. Good luck in there, ladies. Let’s come back safe.

Day 24 results:
Last Judgment gang fended off
Rob O’Boston recruited
Horde three days out

Day 25 missions:
Kyrios and Jeansberg clearing the South Mall (20% chance of mishap)

Yes!! And I am dressed for success!

I don’t know about this farming business. Tom, my guy is going to talk to Nixxter about getting that megaphone. I want to max out my leadership score.

Day 26 dawns with one of my favorite messages:

Day 26 missions:
Kyrios and Jeansberg finishing up a zombie killing mission in the mall

Hordes don’t seem to be too much trouble on Challenging (which is what I’ve played on, I think). I assume they’re a bit more dangerous on this difficulty level though.

The difference between challenging and impossible is pretty steep. I haven’t been able to beat impossible yet, even after levelling up folks at lower difficulty settings.

Yeah, impossible gets pretty crazy, prolix. But I really feel that sort of prohibitive difficulty best captures the feel of zombie mythology. Your survivors will eventually die. The point is what score will you have when they die? :)

It’s basically an attack by all surrounding zombies with about a hundred or so additional zombies. You want to make sure to have everyone – EVERYONE! </Oldman> – on defense the night the horde hits. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed no one is out of commission that night. I hope I haven’t made a mistake by sending Kyrios and Jeansberg on a pretty hazardous combat mission (20% chance of mishap…) right before the horde hits.

-Tom

Just call me Old MacDonald.

Impossible is winnable, I have managed to do it twice out of about 50 tries. I play on huge maps, and this may be an advantage as hordes can take up to 6 days to reach you - but once you really expand the hordes catch you pretty quick. Both victories were Last Judgement kills with strength as the focus, though I think the leader ot builder victories would be just as obtainable if the city hall/heliport was found.

Impossible is my fav because it actually limits the time of the game pretty good. By 20 turns you know how you are doing, and it is usually not good. ;> Luck always plays a part in impossible, especially when you take risks.

I also play v 1.4 on Kongregate. 1.3 was crashing/freezing on me.

Regarding guard duty, I don’t see the benefits to the guard house other than a holding tank. It says anyone not assigned is considered on guard duty. I only see benefits in zombie raids.

And you want regular raids - it thins things out and keeps your zombies low. I am not sure if the strength of your guarding force adds to the reduction of z’s after a raid. It should imho.

I have employed certain strategies, which I will mention below, and could contain spoilers

• I am very agressive the game and especially the first turns. No one stays home as they are wasted if no z’s attack. Killiing z’s keeps the risk down too. Kill zombies, get a hospital pronto. recruit to max, keep getting more farms and housing.

-Clear a police station early, but do not take it. Instead, scavange every turn. It yields you weapons and happiness till it runs dry. Also scavange all fruit (because you have to have more dudes than your food can afford. Scavaging makes up for loss of food and happy’s. Also extra unused items scavanged gets you food from the trader - which allows over recruiting. Also, weapons on newboes make a difference.

-Keep the risk rate below 25% later in the game, preferably 15% early. or be in a position to accept some damage/loss

–research zombie kill track before the others. I actually have never managed to do too much research in impossible, but help killing z’s is important.

-always invite the evil scientist, allow the book but never keep a church from what I have experienced.

-Bars are a waste of time. 5% if you claim it, -5% if you lose it, no other benefit I have found (not waiting for happy hour).

-Build reclaim teams that can take areas in one turn and upgrade malls in two. Looks like you need around 13 hammers to do this. when z takes areas, you can quickly recover.and do last minute reclaims on defensive buildings.

–scout and scout more. Looking for the paths to the buildings you most need.

-when going to kill zombies, do not send your best dudes, start from the bottom. This is like sending them to soldier school with the added benefit of reducing the count and clearing an area for easy scavange or reclamation.

–keep recruiting, this is the only way you feebly keep up with the growing horde.

Everyone?