Reccettear: An RPG Item Shop Simulation

Oh yeah, it’s Annie. That’s what I get for not double checking before posting.

Oh, Hells yes! I get to buy what looks like an interesting game and support Stardock.

Hmm, anyone else getting a CTD in the intro sequence?

You got us on the right track. :) If the Gamestop in-store search is correct, there is a copy at a local store. Oh wait, it’s Gamestop.

I had no problems with the demo at all.

The demo wouldn’t respond to mouse clicks when I installed it. It was pretty much halted at the main menu, though the sound played.

• Gus

You don’t use the mouse. IIRC (I am at work), you use the arrows or the Z, X, C and V keys for everything. I think you arrow through the menu options and the “Z” is the confirm selection key.

Well that was a mistake. I tried enter, and space bar, and tried mouse, and then eventually uninstalled the demo.
Is Z standard in japan for PC games? Seems bizzare.

Yeah it is a mistake in the ui, a big one. After you play the game a while it tells you to execute custom.exe to configure controls (and other settings), but this should have been way more obvious and should not have required you to get through a couple days first. You still can’t use the mouse with it though.

I’m of the opinion that the game controls work better with a gamepad than a keyboard, but there didn’t seem to be any hectic and exact movement (i didn’t try out dungeons though) so not a huge a deal.

I figured it out by trial and error (press every key on my keyboard until one of them did something). I thought the same once I was clicking around and pissed I was not going to play due to some bug.

From the RPS interview…if successful:

Well, it’s still a little early to think about that – we need to get Recettear out the door after all – but if we let our heads drift into the clouds, we’d like to do EGS’ upcoming project Territoire. It’s really interesting and is rather like the illicit lovechild of Civilization and Final Fantasy Tactics.
There is an ever-so slight chance a game like that would catch on with this crowd.

Well that was a mistake. I tried enter, and space bar, and tried mouse, and then eventually uninstalled the demo.
Is Z standard in japan for PC games? Seems bizzare.
I think ALL the indie developers are moving to that as the standard. Who needs a mouse?!?!

Yeah, Annie was following in the footsteps of the first couple games in the Atelier series, Marie and Elie. Right down to having X number of days to accomplish your goals.

(I think it’s around the fifth or sixth game in that they become more traditional JRPGs with a lot of emphasis on crafting, rather than item-selling sims.)

The way this game lets you do a little bit of adventuring is also a lot like Marie and Elie, where you could hire adventurers to go get rare ingredients for you from dangerous places.

Dunno if Annie included that, I never got around to playing it. I know I’m still waiting for Marie and Elie to get proper translation patches, but… it looks like Recettear would offer a nicely modernized take on the same basic game.

Yeah, I think it’s been pretty standard in all the Japanese PC games I’ve played, and many western keyboard-only games too. The logic behind it is that it’s on the opposite side from the arrows keys, so you can comfortably hit it with your left hand. Likeways, X is usually the cancel key, or a secondary fire button etc. depending on the game.

This game has potential. Though I wasn’t able to finish the dungeon, I still had a lot of fun with the demo.

They won’t pay more then 112-113%, which is annoying. I think their mother is the same. I normally sell it to them anyway but I’m not sure that’s a good strategy.

112% doesn’t even sound worth it except for small items when nearly everyone will pay around 130%. The guild master even said 130% was the standard markup.

ya, I couldn’t finish the dungeon - I left a lot of loot down there :(

What heals you? Fruit?

~C~

Your experience gain increases for every deal in a row you make, without haggling, so it might be worth it to always just ask for 110%-115% from the little girl, unless the item is really expensive.

And you can only make a handful of sales per day. Missing a sales opportunity or two can put you behind your loan repayment target.

but if you accept their deal you’re losing out on around an extra 20% which can be huge on some of the big ticket items.

If you bought the item from a customer you can kind of get by, but if you bought it from the market or guild master you barely make much profit at all.

Z. I never, ever would have tried Z as a confirm key. Or anything, really, unless the game told me that Z did something. I did try Enter on the off chance that a modern game that is not Dwarf Fortress lacked mouse support, but not Z.

• Gus

You make enough. Sure you lose 20% but you are still making a 65% profit over the town prices. I think I could live that but I’d probably need to run Reccettear for more than the initial week to be sure. Now I really want this game.