Recent air combat sim recommendations?

One thing I noticed was that I was unable to complete the cold start tutorial because I couldn’t move the hydraulic transfer pump switch to the shutoff position as directed. The switch itself is actually not visible to me, hidden partially by the switch guard and partially by a belt buckle of all things, and although I was able to blindly move it to Normal, it wouldn’t move to Shutoff with either left or right clicks. I had a similar issue with the emergency flight hydraulic switch, which is somewhat obscured by its guard cover as well, although I was eventually able to get it switched off. I haven’t tried again because cold starts are not entirely my idea of fun.

Also how space age is it really compared to the F-4 or F-111? They seem pretty similarly sophisticated, just going by the cockpit displays, I mean.

The F-14 occupies a weird place in the generations of fighter aircraft, like between the Phantom and the Eagle.

“Iraqi fighters routinely retreated as soon as the Tomcats “lit them up” with the AWG-9.”

Its actually a contemporary of the eagle, though the eagle was updated far earlier in its life. The C model eagle that the air force flies (let alone the E!) are far more advanced than the tomcat when it comes to the human interface.

F-4 and F-111 are quite a bit older than tomcat. And iirc that shows in their cockpit ergonomics. The tomcat’s RIO has this huge round display that will allow him to have an almost AWACS like situational awareness, especially if they have a datalink going. That must have put the fear of Allah in the opposing air force indeed.

Pretty bird, pretty bird.

Insanely fast bird, insanely deadly bird. I love it. Love slinging phoenix to punch stuff out of the sky two states over. Then turning & burning like a mofo and plonking it on a deck in the end.

That’s a beautiful shot mang.

Tried the gun tutorial last night, and even with Jester calling out targets, and even with cheating using the map to try and make intercepts, it is extremely hard to make visual contact with enemy aircraft.

Very briefly, just before the jump from the 1.5.x graphics engine to the 2.x.x engine, they had Falcon 4-esque model scaling, which worked brilliantly and made dogfighting fun. Then, they dropped it when they switched, and now it’s crap again.

oh man yeah those missions have labels forced off, just to spite us old folks/VR users/Old folks wearing goggles.

He’s right on our nose, burn that fucker! What? where? no! i cant see him! two o clock! four o clock! fuck where the fuck is he?

I’m glad it’s not just me. I actually went into the options looking for labels to turn on like in Il-2 BoS, but I couldn’t find anything that looked like the right option.

dot labels is the thing you want, but its forced off in the F-14 tutes. they might just fix that.

This is a real issue. IL-2, BMS, and DCS 2.0 did aircraft scaling in a different way. Have a look over here:

www.reddit.com/r/hoggit

Well, I didn’t at a glance see anything about it on the Hoggit front page, but as a consolation prize I now know there is a squadron called the Pukin Dogs, and I desperately want their livery on my Tomcat.

F4 has model scaling? Which version of F4? All of them?

Model scaling should be mandatory for all Sims, plus the Total War series where fighting with ants isn’t cool.

I find dot labels pretty satisfactory. That and just having a feel for things from doing it a lot and tacviewing some stuff.

I distinctly remember it in OpenFalcon (way back in the day) and BMS (up until now, unless that’s changed recently).

I heartily concur that it should be a requirement—even VR goggles aren’t a real solution, given that the two major difficulties in spotting aircraft in PC games are lack of contrast with the ground and of long-range transient reflections.

I did manage, after a LOT of go-arounds, to finally find, fix and destroy the Su-25 in the AIM-9 tutorial. Baby steps.

I murdered all the things in those tutes but that was HELL. Going a little low helps. Cheating with F2 views helps (F5 view is also disabled, bastards). Floggers make nice smoke trails and at a distance, Jester will pick 'em up on his radar set.

You are also a VR player. The lower res helps with DCS 2.5 visibility. For those of us going 1080 or higher, it’s a real problem.

… When combined with dot labels for anything further out than a km or so.

I just flew the most awesome couple of 1v1 gun duels vs the AI. The first one was vs a Su-27 over Georgia. By the fifth or sixth turn Jester called out “come on man, do some of that pilot shit!”. That was cool. I also gunned down the crane. Too easy comrade! The second fight was a tough as nails losing scrap vs a viper. He was on my six. Only in a scissor just after a couple of yo-yo’s that left us both riding the burners on the edge of a stall did I get a passing squirt off. I missed. Round and round we went, me defensive at least half the time. And every time I could go offensive, he’d just slip away. And then I glimpsed my fuel state! Time to turn the blowers off and knock it off. The AI does not understand ‘knock it off’ so he kept coming. I turned, I twisted. Kicked the big ol’ cat all over the sky (at high AoA you roll with the pedals). And then the viper just bit the dust. Maneouver-kill. Very carefully (only 2k in the tank) and with a huge hairy pair dangling in the wind I flew back and landed on Nellis.

That tomcat labels mod works. Much easier to read. Too bad he didn’t also re-do the caution panel.