Recent air combat sim recommendations?

You’d be amazed how much of a market there is for this thing. I know I for one will be all over this silly thing :D

At first I thought that was a real trailer for a new module and they decided to go with cheesy voice acting. By the two minute mark I figured they used real Ace Combat voiceover lines in a DCS video for an amusing but harmless crossover. Then I read the description and learned that it’s a real thing.

I’m vaguely interested. I might fire up DCS over the holidays to play with my new video card. Maybe the last flight sim hurrah before I go full VR.

Geez I thought it was some fan made video. Only after I read @TimJames post did I watch it to the end. Bizarre. Is it full fidelity? Doesn’t quite gel with the Ace Combat oeuvre if so.

I just want DCS without having to spend four hours reprogramming my HOTAS and learning new systems just to get a new plane to lock on targets and fire missiles.

Simplified systems, realistic flight dynamics, but without a Just Cause storyline. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently so.

I have to say that what’s hit that sweet spot for me lately has been Strike Fighters 2. Just the right mix of kinda-realistic fidelity with that fun, quick gameplay.

I wish TK hadn’t abandoned pc for mobile. Strike fighters was great.

Yes it was. That trailer is for ace combat like xontent for DCS. So the plane is as intricate as always, but the chatter is amusing anime teen bullshit instead of serious military men doing seriously military shit.

These intricate planes can be fun. Yes there’s a learning curve, but most basic things aren’t that hard at all in a viper or hornet

The F-14 is a special case. It has all the fiddly switchy stuff, but its a two-seater with a bot in the backseat. This takes care of almost all the switchology. You’re the driver, there to do some of that pilot shit.

Well to be fair he is working on the PC version again. Not sure when it’ll be rerelased though.

https://store.thirdwire.com/project_sf2_w10.htm

Supposedly. Some SF2 enthusiasts ponied up 100 bucks for a Win 10 native rewrite… last year. Now, we did receive the entire PC SF2 collection in one executable as a side-dish for our donation, but TK has gone dark for months and there’s no Win 10 version yet.

Yeah I admit I’m concerned about it too. Thankfully the current version works just fine on Win 10.

Imagine the Strike Fighters series with a graphics update and VR support?

Heck, I’d have fun even with the old engine in VR…

Stop, I can only get so erect

Sad news. Chuck Yeager passed away this evening. Makes me want to grab a Sabre and go for a ride.

Dude was a legend who flew pretty much every plane in the inventory. I read his autobiography way back in my high school days and I remembered being humbled by his accomplishments. At 20 he was flying Mustangs over Europe shooting down Nazis and when I reached that age I was still struggling with psychotic breaks.

RIP General Yeager.

Oh man, what a legend. RIP sir.

Another legend passed. He was a character. Requiescat in pacem.

Yeah. Made me sad to hear the news - a man of immense stature in aviation. It is amazing given all the risks he took that he died in a bed at the age of 97.

Think I will watch the old “right stuff” movie this weekend. And the idea to fly a Sabre is a good one :-) I have not spent much time in DCS lately as I like to have a block of time to refamiliarize myself with the aircraft. I only have time in the evenings these days, and I am too tired to get into the hassle of VR, getting back the muscle memory on the HOTAS etc. But I have two weeks of break over Xmas so firing up the (relatively simple) Sabre in a tip of the hat to the old icon is a good way to spend it.

There were several shots in there that were indistinguishable from reality for me.