Recent air combat sim recommendations?

It wasn’t even the understandable long landing and head-on collision. I was making my final approach over the hangars, and my tail caught the open door.

Seems unlikely for RoF—777 is pretty all-in on WW2 these days.

At some point in the last year or so of simulated flying, I’ve apparently learned how to fly formation. Finally.

Sergeant Jarvis Cole perished today, taking a direct hit from German archie while on an airfield raid. :(

@Fishbreath, nice writeup. I also played a quick campaign in the Bristol, and yeah, while the plane is probably better if you’re fighting with even numbers, more than one on you alone - or even one on one – would get me into hot water fighting any German scout, pretty much, unless you have the drop on them and get them in the first pass. Which is mostly true for any Allied plane other than maybe the Camel and Pup, but still. So yeah, did a fair bit of bombing and running, which led to me starting a Camel campaign !

That said I tend to have pretty good success with the angled MG’s, which make up somewhat for the wider turn radius since you don’t have to quite get on their tail. Not sure if that was a historical use for them though, dogfighting, probably not.

In S.E.5s, Albert Ball and James McCudden both liked to leave the overwing machine gun at a slight upward angle, actually.

Hmph.

www.tornado2.com

Source code released, but Interplay is doing the same thing that Hasbro did with the EAW source code – keeping it restricted to certain people. And Interplay wants to sell whatever the final result is.

It’s a bad idea. The locked-down EAW code has resulted only in modifications to make it more open in multiplayer and theatre additions, rather than desperately-needed engine revamps or even solutions to long-outstanding issues (7201 error, anyone?) I forsee the same for Tornado.

OMG TORNADO. I LOVE Tornado!!

Been there, done that, no thanks

RIP. Without tornado I wouldn’t be where I am today…

They should plug the plane and campaign engine into DCS. That would be great.

Nothing would make me happier. The DCS guys should seriously just take a year off planes and maps, and build a dynamic campaign. Even a ROF-level dynamic campaign, a random mission generator with some persistence backing it, would make the game a lot more playable as a game.

Since most of my DCS time is spent tooling around as opposed to doing something directed like I might in Falcon 4 or Rise of Flight, I found these missions: a 500-mission tooling-around pack, randomly generated flight plans in random weather conditions with the possibility for random failures. I flew the MiG-21 from Senaki-Kolki to Mineralnye Vody, with broken clouds and a 17-kt crosswind, which was a little exciting.

So, about that whole European Air War thing:

So, the EAW “code group” (whoever that is) had a copy of a late EAW executable source code. (The full source was “accidentally” deleted… which I call bullshit on, since TW’s Strike Fighters is basically an updated EAW engine.) This is what was used to create the 1.40+ et.al. patches for EAW. They asked Atari if it was OK to create patches from the code. Atari said OK. Thus we ended up with the patches that added lots of MP and theatre expansions, but very little engine changes.

Atari ended up selling the rights to EAW (and other games) to Tommo… you know Retroism. The guys who released a bunch of other Microprose games like PAW 1942, Fleet Defender, etc.

Retroism contacted the “code group” for permission to distribute the 1.40 patch as part of a EAW distro on Steam.

The “code group” turned them down.

Well, Retroism asked, could you at least help us with fixing the basic stuff like the 7217 errors, and the “code group” said, sure, you can use 3rd party apps like Glidewrapper. In other words, “go pound sand, we’re not going to help you.”

This was two years ago, and so it appears that Retroism has given up on the idea to release EAW on Steam.

There’s no emoticon about how I feel about this.

This comes closest for me, personally.

On a less-depressing note: a “spiritual successor” to Red Storm Rising:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770691721

From the guys who made the very very tasty pacific fleet and atlantic fleet games. You owe it to yourself to get them on your mobile device if its an android or iOS.

I have Pacific Fleet and castigate myself for playing Zen Pinball instead.

Huh so Valve is still doing the Greenlight thing on Steam? I thought they did away with that and opened the doors for everyone.

RSR is one of my all time favorite games so I’m definately on board with this. Would love to see more shots of the UI. I see they’re sticking with the same time frame of RSR too which happens to be my favorite era for playing CMANO scenarios.

A quote from one of the devs from the Steam forums:

Sounds like they’re on the right track.

Single player only. Sad panda. Multiplayer was the only thing that was worth the headache of playing Dangerous Waters.

Will still play the bejabbers out of it.

Since we don’t have a non combat flight sim thread, is this the right place for this? :P

I loaded up the real world weather conditions down in Cuba with the hurricane going on. Then loaded that into Prepar3d. Then decided to go flying in it :D

Any one you can walk away from…

Right!? :D

So the Ultimate Edition of Wings over Flanders Fields is out.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/features.html

It includes all the expansions and add-ons in one pack, plus apparently a buncha new stuff for about $65. This is great for folks who never wanted to install three expansions, three add-ons and a billion patches for all of these separately (I’m only slightly exaggerating).

You still need CFS3 to run it all, of course.

I’ll snag it eventually, thankfully I get a discount since I already own all the previous content.