Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Someone pointed out (and I just did it) that IL-2 + expansions are all 50% off if you order direct from the developer
You can get a steam key with it as well if you like having it all in your library) EDIT: Looks like this is NOT the case.

Oooh excellent, thanks Rod. If we had likes youā€™d get a +1. ;)

Cheers! Yeah I went all in with the battle for moscow as well :) Cant wait to play!!!

Yeah itā€™s pretty awesome for flight (and driving) games. Youā€™re ā€˜thereā€™, sitting in the cockpit.

The only real limitation is down to v1 hardware - the resolution means it can be hard to read instruments or see distant targets, so usually you have a ā€˜zoomā€™ function, or turn on labels to compensate. Also looking forward to the day we get hand tracking in these games, for flipping switches and twiddling dials.

But regardless, it really is the ā€˜new track-irā€™ and now that Iā€™ve tried it I wouldnā€™t want to play a sim without it. :)

How do you do this btw? Do you need Steam version to run in VR?

edit: Nevermind, I see thereā€™s a ā€˜get Steam keyā€™ button. Deal done

Cool yeah was gonna post. But its pretty easy. Have fun! I am going to be playing in a few hours!

Gah, actually you canā€™t get Steam keys:

This key swap program only applies to IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad keys purchased during the Early Access and Pre-Order periods prior to October 22, 2014.

This key swap program only applies to IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow keys purchased during the Early Access and Pre-Order periods prior to August 9, 2016.

Wait what? Hmm k my apologies. Not a big deal for me but I didnā€™t mean to mislead you :(

No worries, not a deal breaker - I just like the convenience of auto-updates.

k, my apologies again! Still I am stoked to be playing tonight :)

Hard to believe that I posted this in 2008, and here we are talking about VR.

K this is fun with VR. I had a little bit of weird stuttering the first time I ran it but it has diminished since.

The experience though! Holy cow this is fun.

k Il-2 battle for moscow is just crazy fun with VR. My only problem is just like everything else I cant play for more than an hour or so straight without needing a break. But hott damn this is immersive. They did a lot right with this game.

Rod, I donā€™t have VR, is that a VR thing or just a gaming thing youā€™ve got? If itā€™s VR only, I would be interested to hear why so that I know.

VR only. I have tried the Vive many times and own the Oculus, while I absolutely love them both I cannot play for very long without getting a headache or nausea some such. VR at present is just not good for long gaming sessions. That is not a problem for a lot of games and I can still have a blast in flight or space sims, but I do need to take regular breaks. Maybe thats a good thing? :)

Very good info to know, thanks for that, Rod. I guess Iā€™m going to need to find someone with it to try.

A few straight hours in Elite Dangerous VR is better than no hours in Elite Dangerous VR. ;)

Oh it will blow you away. It blows me away to this day. As Profanicus notes it IS worth the price. Its just not something I can sit down and do for 3 hours straight. I need to take breaks thats all. Elite & IL-2 will just make your headspin how awesome it is.

So we should get a Qt3 multiplayer session going sometime in IL-2ā€¦ I never play it online, but with cool people like yā€™all it would be fun.

I can handle ~3 seconds of movement in VR Elite before I tap out.

2d however, Iā€™m all over it.