Recent air combat sim recommendations?

For what it’s worth, I haven’t played the non-beta version since at least the release of 1.5.x, and it doesn’t work any less well than the so-called stable branch.

Yeah I’m just being pedantic. :) This game and all it’s modules are practically perpetual betas.

That’s the truth. If I had a nickel for every time a patch for one module broke something entirely unrelated in another module, I could afford the Hornet.

I hadn’t heard about their campaign ambitions.

Whatever, Matt. I have plans on becoming a world-famous bassist, writer, game designer, and cocksman. You guys are just now barely hauling out an engine upgrade and map ED has been promising for years. I have about as much faith in that as, well, whatever hyperbolic comparison you can think of.

grumpy old man. sure its been overpromised and underdelivered. its also the only thing still being actively developed. TK (remember strikefighters?) has given us the finger and is making bank doing little mobile thingamibobs. theres also il2 but i reckon that aint worth shit to either huh? also jets.

my glass is half full. gave em my pocket money in advance for the hornet. stoked as fuck for wednesday. dcs is awesome and the fact that they are even thinking DC has me giddy as a little girl.

Wings Over Flanders Fields. Motherfucker.

/Drops mic, walks out

IL-2 is actually really good, if soulless.

Wings Over Flanders Field? 2002 called and wants its not-even-state-of-the-art-back-then flight simulator back. 🤢

It came out just a few years ago, and they’re working on their next game too, a WWII game.

WoFF is based on CFS3, a game that came out when the GeForce 4 Ti4600 was the state of the art.

Also, go VR or go home.

And wood-and-cloth kites are boring. :)

We all can’t afford VR, Mr. Privileged. It also doesn’t make a soulless sim better. ;)

So? It’s clearly evolved into it’s own product, so much so they’re on its third iteration.

I just want to live in an alternate universe where DOOM never happened and the big publishers continued to invest in flight sims, so we had mission designs and AI like we had in the 90s, with 20 years of progress in design, and modern graphics engines. And Trump isn’t President.

This is the Darkest Timeline. Which is why I have a beard.

This I can drink to.

amen to that

Which is why you’re obviously typing with one hand ;)

Couldn’t agree more.

But this is why I am totally enthused that a company like Eagle Dynamics exists at all. Otherwise old style jet jockeys like me would be grounded, sipping our scotch and getting all misty eyed as we reminisce to our young ones about the likes of F-19 stealth fighter.

Personally I am pretty thrilled we’ll be getting a hornet and some DCS World loving soon even if it was promised in the last century. It will finally get me off my lazy butt to optimize my man cave so I can hook it all up without bringing down the grid. I have a warthog HOTAS and VR setup but not enough desk space to accommodate it all comfortably. Recent announcements have impelled me to kick off Project TARDIS to find that space.

Yeah, say what you will about ED and schedules and keymapping, etc. but when you look at Wags’ videos on F/A-18 systems, it’s pretty amazing the level of detail they’re simulating these planes in.

(Alas, I’d rather not learn them to that level; I’m more a survey sim kind of guy. I want it to feel realistic without having to actually learn how to operate a real F/A-18 in full detail to play a game. But I totally respect the effort! And that’s why I’m glad there’s Korean and WW2 planes in the sim.)

@scharmers oh you 《winkety wink》

@midnight.mangler, you will not be disapointed. it is a bot of a mountain to climb getting it all setup and buttons assig ed and tweaked just so. but when you get there, breathing that rare air…

@Editer i used to feel the same about switchology in sims, preferring survey to study sim. given the choice i’d still rather kick the tires and light the fires in somethin like strike fighters, but you know… VR. So DCS. and I found strange delight in learning the intimate details of these monstrous machines. taking a hog or ka-50 from cold and dark thru a mission then ending parked, canopy open and the engine spoolin down… its special.

schweeeeeeeeeeeBAM! 2.5 change log

I’m going to bump this thread because I don’t think schurem’s edit did. 2.5 is out! See change log above.

“This update will be available only for Open Beta so far.”

No, it’s not.