Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Such a baddass plane.

Harrier and Viggen added! Just missing the Mirage, a couple of trainers, and a couple helicopters now.

If only I didnā€™t have to spend 10+ minutes configuring my controller for every single plane.

ehā€¦ at first the controller-fidling irritated the crap out of me too, even drove me away from DCS for a bit. Then I decided to man up, be a proper member of the PC gaming masterrace and dig in.

Now every day Iā€™m in there hustling, hustling. tweaking .lua left and right, getting labels controls radars radios and vr all set up just so. and thats when im not dicking around with triggers and zones and things in the mission editor.

But mostly I just hit fly at least once a day and enjoy slipping the surly bonds of earth and soaring among sun kissed halls of cloud.

Thatā€™s great news! I am interested in all of those. The mig-23 is utterly unique in that I have never seen a simulation of that ever.

yup almost as exotic as the viggen. really lookin forward to it as im reading about the constant peg programme.

Article or book?

book

Yes I have that one. Itā€™s a great read.

This one is good too:

Other book

Well now youā€™re just making excuses for the devsā€™ lazy implementation. :)

I expect configuration to be required, but itā€™d be nice to have a working preset as default. Like start by not assigning every main axis to all controllers simultaneously. :P

Iā€™m with you on that. The defaults are so bad that it would be better if they were empty.

Is there a manual for this Harrier? Iā€™m having trouble locating it.

I grabbed Chuckā€™s Guide but I really love reading the full manuals.

Full manual isnā€™t out yet (early access) but there should be something in /dcs/mods/harrier/docs for you.

the defaults are horrible. In many ways DCS is far too janky to be considered main stream consumer software. Flight sims always have been that way. Priorities lie differently there than in regular AAA gaming. Anyone remember slaying white chickens at midnight on a full moon over their autoexec.batā€™s to get falcon3.0 to run?

Seems like aircraft production is ramping up for DCS. This sale might finally have me hopping in.

Hoping someone will announce a Tornado module.

Thanks!

Decisions, decisions. Trying to decide if I should grab FC3 or just the F-15C, and then pick up something else like the F-5E. Going to grab NTTR as well.

Vyshka get the F-5 and fc3. fc3 is such great value: not only the eagle, but also the -a model warthog, the Su-25 frogfoot, the Su-27s flanker, two flavors of MiG-29 fulcrum and as a bonus the chinese copy of the flanker, the J-11.

You will have to fiddle with controls for every jet. This is a bore and a chore but once you have figured out how you want your jet set up, it becomes easier for the next one. And if you are careful about not fucking up that file, you only have to do it once.

The F-5E I can wholeheartedly reccomend. It is such a fun little jet. It is small, slick, low-tech and hot as hell. I have not managed to land bombs anywhere near a target yet with it, but gunning down bitches in VR all night long never gets old. F-5 truly is the last of the pilotā€™s fighters. After that it was all computers and electronics and whizzbang gizmology.

I seem to remember it required 608kb of ā€˜systemā€™ memory, which was really frustrating as I couldnā€™t get my PC over 604. Disable emm386? Details hazy.

Lol details utterly lost in time at my end.

But what remains is ā€œhacker DIY mentalityā€ when it comes to flying on a computer. That and always needing cutting edge hardware.

Can I humbly ask for recommendations on what air combat Sim I should buy if I have very limited experience with flight sims in general (so a good tutorial and ui friendliness a big plus) and will be using a very old sidewinder as my peripheral of choice. Steam preferred but not essential.

Thanks alot!

Ps sorry if someone asked the same thing recently, I didnā€™t notice any, feel free to redirect me.

Do you want jets or proppellor driven aircraft? Do you want guns on it?

(you did come to the right place)