Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Probably already aware, but this one is stellar in VR. One of the best implementations of any game, and honestly easier to manage than the likes of DCS which has small switches and whatnot.

I disagree, I think DCS has the better VR implementation as you can actually click the switches in VR without needing a mouse.

The ease of management you mention is likely down to the module, not the base product itself. For example, how does the DCS Spitfire fare against the IL-2 Spitfire? It’s a bit unfair comparing it against an F-18. ;)

IL-2 certainly has much easier control setup though!

OK boys I am all in. 50% off just too good to pass up!

I’m probably done until the F-14 module (And then only until the MiG-23 and F-15E which are must buys for me). My life would be complete with a full on viper.

This year only Slay the Spire on the steam sale! ;-)

Thanks @schurem, @Fishbreath and @Profanicus for bringing me back into this hobby with a vengeance. I have not been happier behind a keyboard in some time.

Good point. I always equate DCS to jets and helicopters and forget about the prop birds. I think I read somewhere they actually make more money off those.

That being said, with resolution issues of current VR, getting all needed controls on your stick is ideal, and this just isn’t possible with the more complex DCS modules. IL-2 though is very doable, arguably removing a barrier to VR immersion.

I dont own any of the warbirds in DCS, the sabre and MiG-15 come closest. IMO Il2 engine is more suited to propjobs, from the way their maps are built, their skies to the flight physics and gunnery models.

What I find incredibly sweet is that the old FM debate is almost entirely irrelevant between the titles. Apparently they have gotten it so right that the differences have become negligable. Only at the very edge of the envelope, where you are at or past the edge of controllability is where (both sims’) fidelity is said to be lacking by people who can know (pilots).

In general, Il2 aircraft are more of a challenge to your stick&rudder skills while DCS tends more to the academic systems study side if only because an F/A-18 does the second to second flying for you.

I had a ton of trouble with DCS multiplayer up until a few nights ago—long loading times, frequent freezes in the menu, failures to join games… Turns out it was solved by deleting the options.lua file in (Saved Games)/DCS/Config. Must have been something in there from when Multiplayer had separate settings. Anyway, if you’ve run into those problems, you might give that a try.

Edit: a new dynamic campaign option is out. Looks interesting. I’ll probably give it a test flight later tonight or tomorrow.

Hey, a similar solution to all the frame-rate issues I was having a while back! Worked a treat.

DCS “dynamic campaign” generator

Anyone tried this out yet?

It’s on my list for this afternoon.

This morning, however…

So, fire up the Liberation campaign generator and you see a screen like this:

There are a number of missions based on the assets you have on hand. (Click on one of your airfields, and you can buy things to be based there, based on the budget number at the top of the screen.) Pick a mission, and you can task assets from the airfield to it.

Finish the mission and save the debrief file, and the campaign generator reads it and deducts the appropriate losses.

Seems pretty nifty so far. The missions aren’t super-complicated, but it works better than the LUA-based dynamic campaign engine already.

Any thoughts on this for us financially challenged folks?

Looks promising! Now I just have to endure houseguests for a little while longer before I can get back to playing… ;-)

Just noticed the Harrier landing. (Was on my iPhone before and was too small to see).

Super cool! How many attempts did it take to get that right?

I had one when I was starting out. It has good sensitivity and adjustable joystick centering force, both of which are handy features. (Especially if you’re switching between, say, WW1 flying, where there is no trimming and you need the whole control range, and modern flying, where you don’t.)

They may have changed it since I bought mine, but the throttle unit on mine had a detent right in the middle, which was an inconvenient place for it. It’s also a little light on the buttons, but that only matters if you’re aiming to get into the advanced DCS modules or modern Falcon 4. It’s perfectly fine for less HOTAS-intense sims.

Would you believe just one? The Harrier is surprisingly stable in a hover; certainly, it’s no more difficult than a helicopter, and it might even be a little easier, provided you’re light enough.

Thanks!

I’ll second the recommendation for the HOTAS X. I have one and love it. My only qualm is that it sometimes feels like it has too few buttons, but it hasn’t made me ache for a more expensive one yet.

Fine for starters, but this is far better:

Yeah, I looked at that. I just don’t have $130 to spare right now. Might just save up though.

Caution, DCS Harrier, Mirage, and other third-party module pilots: apparently Eagle Dynamics changed the RWR APIs at the last minute prior to this update, and so most of the non-first-party modules’ RWRs are 100% nonfunctional.

Hey guys, I hate to direct the convo back to IL2 but I have some questions for you virtual fighter aces:

• What do you think is the funnest way to get good at the game? So far I just fly solo flights from the quick mission selection in the same plane to get comfortable with all the dial locations. I am getting pretty good at taxiing and taking off, but I still screw up the landing as often as I don’t. I have flown a couple of small dogfight missions and they are fun too. I am thinking that I should build up some more confidence before starting the campaign?
  • Is there a best way to introduce more realism into the options? So far I am still on normal realism, and was planning on turning on radiator management or propeller rpm management etc… much later on. Or should I aim to get used to some of the higher realism settings as soon as possible to not encourage bad habits?
  • Something I can’t figure out when reading about Track IR: isn’t it weird to have to turn your head slightly but keep your eyes in the place in order for the tracker to register that you want the in-game head (and eyes) to move left? It just strikes me as really strange but no one reviewing these devices comments on it.
  • This game is fun!