Recent air combat sim recommendations?

I don’t know what’s gotten into me. Firing up Hornet with VR for the first time re-energized a love for combat sims that had been dormant for a long time. I’ve had A-10C forever and never put in more than an hour. Last night fired it up in VR and boom! Now I gotta learn, and with a desert map no less. I love the manuals of yore so decided to do that 670 page PDF manual justice. Sent it in for print. Not bad really, hardcover and in color for $35 at lulu express.

Then I checked out Amazon prime day. I found a 1080 EVGA for $500 down from $650. I bought it. Then I went on DCS forums and read that 1080 still won’t cut the mustard and I needed a 1080ti. Then I realized I was fucking insane for spending 500 on a 2 year old card and unbought it. No way I’m ponying 700 for the TI. Shortly after unbuying it, they sold out and it went back up to $670, but I’m satisfied with that choice.

Gonna make my 970 last until next gen, or until I can find a 1080 for 350-400.

For the record, Hornet is still better =P

BTW, there’s now a Thrustmaster 16000 bundle that includes their pedals too. I replaced my Logitech 940 with it. Really love it, other than it needing both front USB ports.

Early Access version of Flying Circus is now available: Flying Circus / IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles

Looks like the early access version only has two planes initially, with the rest to come later.

$70 and that is with a $10 discount? Ouch.

Totally agree - it’s a revelation and has brought me back to flight simming with a vengeance. When I want to relax after a tough day at work flying in VR does the trick. The sense of “being there” unwinds me like few other things.

Why does a 1080 not “cut the mustard”? Seems pretty OK to me…

The DCS forums like all game forums are festering pit of stupidity mingled with the occasional pearl of genius modding.

I drive a 1070 and VR and am quite content with the performance I’m getting.

Let’s be honest. We’re all going to land up buying it no matter what it costs because it’s our only option for WW1 in VR. They have us by the short and curlies! It’s the only way to relive my childhood Biggles obsession…

I shoulda asked about the card here.

Still, $500 is a lot for a 1080, and the 970 will serve will I learn. Won’t hurt to wait (never does with these things).

On the other hand I received the Warthog I bought from E-bay today and am in total awe. I never should have waited on this thing.

@schurem I think you mentioned upthread you had a Warthog Hotas? I am just floored by this thing. Of course I did my internet research and read lots of posts complaining of the plastic gimbal in the stick and the need to grease it. Same posts also said what a piece of mediocre kit it is compared to their esoteric import jobbies.

My question. Did you, ahem, grease your Warthog? Do you think it is necessary? I hate to open the thing if I can help it…

Wow. A lot of complaining about a premium stick! Never had to grease mine :) it’s about as good as sticks get. I stopped using it and bought an X-55 as I moved houses and didn’t want to screw my rudder pedals into the nice wooden floor.

I am dying to get the thrustmaster hornet HOTAS that is in the works though…

Well, maybe as good as mass-produced consumer sticks get. :)

The ‘esoteric import jobbies’ are the next step up (look up VKB and VirPil).

I won’t argue there. But for the lumpen proletariat like me the Warthog is ample. It’s like comparing an Audi TTRS with a Lamborghini - both cars are more than enough for your average driver even though the Lambo is the ultimate. :)

Heh personally I’m not even in an Audi… still waiting on my Logitech/Saitek G X56 to arrive! :)

PSA: If you’ve bought Rise of Flight stuff from their store in the past, you may have a promo code awaiting in your account.

Mine was good for an extra $5 off Flying Circus! …

Yeah I own a second hand hog. I think modding the gimbal would certainly improve it. I have opened up the thing just to confirm it’s as easy as they say it is. It is.

Lazy bastard that I am, I haven’t bought the right stuff to get my gig properly greased yet.

It truly is a tremendous piece of kit, isn’t it?

Ps. It warms the cockles of my heart to see this thread remain alive. I take it as a sign I am not some weirdo with a sick perverted love for sleek, murderous and horribly complicated machinery. At least not the only one.

Anyone know if flying circus will get a standard edition for 50 that is missing 2 planes like in their other games?

Of course it will. Be sure. Two more weeks.

It is a pretty great time for us simmers. As a kid something like DCS in VR was a dream. Playing with the editor you have a sandbox of unlimited possibilities.

The new golden age is now - I just hope Eagle Dynamics continue to do what they do.

Read page 32 of my childhood dream machine

With a VR headset we basically have that now with tons of planes! The only thing that really needs to improve is the resolution and aliasing in VR.

I suspect as more folks try these offerings in VR, interest will increase. They really are the killer apps folks have been asking about. Who knows, maybe another dev will get on board. It’s a shame BMS has such old code. That thing would just be tremendous to fly with an Oculus.

Based on what we have today, I’m completely on board with upgrading to higher resolutions when they come out. That also factored in decision to wait on the 1080.

I’ll probably also check out the gimbal situation on the stick. I can feel just an ever so slight resistance. Also considering an extension, but afraid that will put too much torque on the plastic and break it for sure.

@schurem, @anklebiter, @profanicus : are any of you guys playing BMS? One thing I miss in DCS is my favorite jet - the F-16.