Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Wow, you ain’t kidding. The Viggen HUD is all futuristic and crap. I just love the dials in the cockpit and the ground radar is all kinds of cool.

Here’s a video Matt Wagner made highlighting the Viggen role as similar to the Tornado (which needs to get into DCS pronto). Low, fast and just made for VR. This should give an impression of just how different this jet is from the usual.

Good purchase. These are the same folks who are making the Tomcat. Given what a seller that will be, I’m thinking they will stick around for awhile. I just hope they don’t give up on this bird in favor of the Tomcat $$s.

They won’t. Most of that team are Swedes. The Viggen is their pet project, a labor of love even more so than any flight sim software out there.

IL-2 tank sim? Does it have VR support too?

Tank Crew – Clash at Prokhorovka
A new ground-breaking tank simulator by the team that brought you IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad. Drive some of WWII’s greatest battle tanks in close quarters ground combat during the Battle of Kursk, namely in the Prokhorovka sector. In the largest mechanized battle of all time, you can command your tank crew in both single-player and multiplayer environments and battle the enemy in intense missions and grueling combat. Maneuver your tank to find the enemy’s weak-spot while trying to keep your own tank’s vulnerabilities from being exposed. One carefully placed round is all it takes to decimate your crew and destroy your tank!

Tank Crew contains ten famous tanks and armored vehicles that you can drive, shoot and command in virtual combat alone or with friends. Tank Crew also comes with a map of the Prokhorovka sector of the Kursk Salient.

Currently Tank Crew contains four tanks :

Pz VI
Pz III
T34
KVI

I haven’t got into the T34 yet, but the other tanks are well done and driving around feels clunky and slow in exactly the way you expect, but the niceties of the game are really bare right now.

For example, you can’t serve as the commander and tell your gunner where to target and have them engage - you have to drop to the gunsights and fire yourself.

It looks ok :

\

…and I’m looking forward to when the mission generator is in place so you can do something other than the couple of canned missions currently available.

Is this part of IL-2, as in some people fly, some people tank in multi-player?

Edit: looking at the considerately supplied link, it looks like that’s the plan, if it isn’t there already.

I kinda wish the IL-2 and the DCS folks would combine forces. Competition is always good, but the pricing is really high. At this point I’m more inclined to support DCS because of the fast jets, but IL-2 is so excellent!

Tank crew is in the same engine as the rest of Il-2 so it also has that excellent VR. It’s also really early access, so things like being able to effectively command the AI crew members as a tank commander isn’t in yet.

Sadly they ruled out infantry for Tank Crew. Mowing down poor farm boys (let alone innocent villagers!) is not something they want to burn their fingers on. They say its technically impossible, but I think they choose to be a sterile vehicle sim in order not to loose too many sales if they’d have realistic human murder. Come to think of it, perhaps not all that sad that they don’t.

I haven’t bought into Tank Crew yet, but I did buy into Flying Circus. Those little kites and VR are a match made in heaven. I think the Il-2 engine and DCS are different enough that it’s a good thing they are two seperate things. There is a Tank Crew like module for DCS, called Combined Arms that allows you to command ground units. It does not support VR however, but DCS does have infantry models…

I just did an emergency landing in a Yak-1 along the snowed under main road of some village near Stalingrad. It was pretty hectic but I managed to keep myself alive. I loved that as soon as my engine stopped I heard dogs barking from inside the houses. The little touches are great!

I can just imagine the developers working on their flight sim while thinking ‘we are going to need dog sound effects’.

Some of this actually is in the game already, so I presume their aversion to infantry is to large formations. If you menace an AT gun in your tank and their first round bounces off you can see some members of the crew may panic and make a run for it and then you totally can take them out with the coax or bow gun.

There’s a real art to aiming depending on shell type - the pure HE rounds really arc in and you need to practice if you’re going to hit anything with those when compared to the flatter trajectory of APHE or a straight AP round.

I managed to splash an AT gun by over-compensating for the HE arc and landing the round behind them and then the entire crew just upped and ran away. I don’t know if they will just keep going of if they’ll return to the gun, but I wasn’t going to find out.

The 50mm gun on the PzIII is my favourite so far, because the muzzle velocity makes aiming easier. If you get your ranging correct it becomes very easy to put a round through the driver’s hatch on the front of the T34.

Those guns were well appreciated by their historical users too.

That is awesome! Speaks to Schurem’s post above, when is realistic too realistic, especially given the subject matter? Dogs barking OK. Civilian death, not so much.

Uniform kills on the other hand; bring em on!

Seems like they are going for the same thing here though; call it combined arms.

Isn’t this the holy grail of video gaming? Being able to fly, drive or walk all on a multiplayer server in VR? Isn’t this the dream of Star Citizen that so many people bought into? And here we are with two products that are so much further along…

I swear, I don’t understand why more people don’t post in this thread. You people, learn how to fly a Hornet. No more complicated than a WoW raid or X-Com strategy.

In a fit of generosity, the makers of Rise of Flight and Il2 BoX have dropped a code in my account for 25% off their non-early access stuff. I already have everything so here it is:

R7W4D66N

First taker gets it, please post if you’ve taken it.

Thanks heaps @schurem, I used it to pick up Battle of Kuban!

Glad to see it got a home where it’s loved :D

Now go pulverise some fokkers (yes the Bf-109 is a fokker too, as are the heinkels and the stukas) with that beautiful spitfire you just bought!

It feels like the tanks in il-2 are out of place in the Air Combat Sim thread, but I did have some planes in my last mission.

I took the canned KV-1 mission and it starts with you having detached from your regiment due to track damage and then you have to find your way back to them. The obvious bridge was obviously zeroed by German artillery, so when I made a run for that it came under pretty intense fire and eventually a bridge support collapsed and the bridge came down into the river.

There was a pontoon bridge about a mile back toward German lines, so I had to make for that and I began to take fire from the other bank. The AT gun that was engaging us was small, but the KV-1 is not exactly a race horse, so the Germans got to bang multiple shells off the turret, hoping to find a weak point.

Eventually we made the bridge and turned toward it, only to find three Czech Panzer 38s waiting for us. Their guns were a bit more dangerous, so I tried to scoot and shoot on the pontoon approach and managed to knock all three of them out. They did land a hit that wounded the driver, but he could continue.

I made it across the pontoon bridge, dealing with some trucks and that AT gun from earlier with machinegun fire and then the German artillery reappeared as I was trying to break back to the east and friendly lines.

The field around me started blowing up with incoming fire and I was just about to button up when something else opened up on us. I’ve no idea what it was, but I think it was a 20mm cannon of some sort - possibly an AAA gun. It blew the external fuel tanks clean off the right side and wounded the Commander.

I buttoned up the tank hatch and the radio crackled to say that air support had shown up. I couldn’t see a thing through the tiny observation slits, so I dropped into free camera mode and went and found the German arty and then watched the il-2 make their attack run.

Link, for if/when the Streamable doesn’t work any more.

nice!

I should have clarified I got the standard edition haha, which doesn’t include the spitfire.

I did want it, but since I’m going to get Bodenplatte (when it comes out) I figured that one will give me a much better version. My grandfather flew spitfire mk 9s over France after D-day. So I’m really looking forward to flying that plane in the RAF skin, and also showing my dad who is really into this stuff but isn’t a gamer.

Holy crap that would be a cut scene in most games. Please keep posting in this thread!

This is the visibility for almost all your time in the Commander’s chair.

Mostly you spot enemy units by being fast enough to pick up either the flash or the trail of the gun round as it’s on its way to hit you and then you hope the armour keeps you alive long enough to return fire.

I kept the tank ubuttoned wayyyy to much, just in the hopes of being able to see anything. I was out of the hatch when that 20mm opened up on us, which is why I got injured.

The interior of the tank doesn’t show the other crew members, (I presume that will change), but it does show your main gun rounds and ammo canisters for the MGs.

The Russians seemed to be obsessed with infantry getting behind the tanks, so they had these offset MGs point out the back or sides of some of their tanks.

As you have to do all the crew work right now I can’t work out a way to slew the turret one way while commanding the tank and driving in another direction, so that sideways MG on the KV1 got a lot of work, suppressing the tree line on the opposite bank as we approached the pontoon bridge.

Are you playing in VR? I would imagine the claustrophobic tension, combined with clear headphone sound of shells richocheting off armor would be intense! Fury with your own story (I’m no ww2 tank expert, so please forgive if Fury isn’t a good reference)