Recent air combat sim recommendations?

They are supposed to be shots from the DCS model viewer. That is the quality we are going to see in the sim (if we have the hardware to drive that)

This one for example most definately is in-engine.

That jet is going to be so much fun in the sim. Wildly complicated in systems, electronics and aerodynamics. It has quite a barrier of entry, so won’t suffer a fool lightly but the skill ceiling is way up there in the stratosphere. Good turkey driver should be able to outmaneouver eagles all day long.

At least we get the B model first, not the A model with the terrible TF-30 engines that would flame out if you as much as sneezed at it. We’ll also should be getting an AI in the backseat, taking care of the AWG-9 radar system and calling out sightings in close-in fights.

For me this is ideal. I will learn the RIO stuff in due time, but for me it’s all about “c’mon schurem, do some of that pilot shit!”. I look forward to mastering the intricacies of the F-14 analog flight systems and aerodynamics. Learn to fly it, land it and do it well.

In the meantime, i’m having fun doing formation in a FBW jet:

Can I ask a dumb question about IL-2 BOS? How the heck do you engage the flaps on the Russian planes? One press of the flaps down button just puts them into unlocked position, and then they refuse to actually move with further presses of the flap down control.

I am clearly doing something stupid, and the googles are no help.

What plane are you flying? They can take time to come down (i-16). How fast are you going? Above 300ish kph they just don’t come down on most machines.

I believe I tried both the LaGG-3 and Yak-1. This was sitting on the ground trying to put the flaps into takeoff position, so not an issue with air speed. I had the HUD open, and didn’t see the flaps increment like on the German planes, just a message about Flaps Unlocked or some such.

In the cockpit, to the left, there appears to be a lever to unlock the flaps, and then another lever to open and close them. I can’t figure out how to do the latter.

Perhaps you need to take another look in the control config screen. I wouldn’t be surprised if its different controls for german planes and soviet.

I have set my HOTAS (a warthog set) to go flaps down, flaps up (F and shift-F iirc) on the left most three-position switch, with the middle position being neutral.

Interesting… I’d not read much about F-14 vs F-15 exercises but figured the 15 would hold its own against the Tomcat. Also, are you talking A or D models of the 14?

My source is an aircrew interview with a turkey driver who did a bunch of DACT vs eagles. Of course he thought his own machine was better than the air forces’.

It jives with my experience from DCS. Eagle is a great jet. Powerful as all get out and rolls real snappy. But it does not excel at slow speed knife fighting. So if the turkey driver can suck the eagle into that, he be toast.

In case anybody is on the fence on getting into DCS choppers they just put a four-pack in the store that has all of them.

Sadly you can’t split the pack. So If you have one or more of the choppers it is not as good a deal as it is if you don’t. I myself own three of the four and they are awesome fun. All very different. I think I described my experience with them some ways upthread.

@schurem: so many games to play, so many DCS modules to learn, so short short are our frail mortal lives…!!! Tempting as this is, I will focus on fast movers for now (or slow moving spitfires as the case may be).

It’s a fast mover by the standard of its time.

:) Indeed!

Ka-50 moves pretty dang fast too :P

So I bought the helicopter bundle. If anyone has interest in the Gazelle or Mi-8 modules let me know in PMs, as you are apparently allowed to gift serial keys to other accounts from this bundle (an ED staff member mentioned it on the hoggit reddit).

I would love to give the big ol’ Mi-8 a try if available!

Fuck! Too late I guess? Would have loved to take that gazelle off your hands.

Gah sorry about that, our friend @Editer will likely be getting it if the transfer of the key is accepted by ED (they make you open a support ticket to give someone anything).

It’s cool, in due time when I have the funds available i’ll gladly pay full price for it. In the mean time there’s plenty other toys to play with.

If you ask on the hoggit reddit thread about the bundle there is a good chance someone else who buys it this month will be looking to offload the gazelle.

Huh, looks like you can get Wings Over the Reich already.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/store.html

Goddamnit Rubin, I didn’t need to know that.

The new Assetto Corsa game hits early access next week, (9/12), so I really don’t need this. But WOFF is so good.

Edit : Phew! Looks like only the 109e and Hurricane I are flyable right now, with the AI taking the other planes… so I can convince myself to wait. Probably.