Recent air combat sim recommendations?

At least you could install it if you played it today. I likely won’t be able to buy it for a month or two.

/scratches head

I wonder why Pav chose the Hurricane, instead of the Spit Mk I, as the sole Pommey flyable?

I presume the other planes will be in upcoming release phases, so I guess they picked a single-seater from each side and went with it.

If it’s strictly the Battle of Britain in this release, then the Hurricane makes some sense as first choice.

Looking through the FAQ there’s a special section on how to use the flaps. In the Hurricane they have a 16mph operational window! Above 136mph they snap off and below 120mph they stall the plane and you die. Great!

Not much of The Sexy there, though, with the Spit Mk I as the other Tommy ride. I mean, to swap it around with the Luftwaffe, we would’ve gotten the mighty ZERSTORER instead of the Emil :)

Don’t ignore the girl next door!

Especially when the girl next door shot down more enemy planes.

The Sexy is still on its way and people will wait for it.

I been flying The Sexy in full sexy VR all summer now. Too bad there’s not awesome DC and AI behind it like in this new thing.

Yuck, still built on top on CFS3.

The weird resolution and aspect ration are because these shots are taken from the right eye of my oculus. Just flying along in close formation like that is great fun to me.

Those are nice shots. Does the Rift in-game appear as sharp as those Rift screenshots? Do you ever have trouble reading cockpit instruments or anything like that?

In other news, flying helicopters is hard. I just started trying to get to grips with the Huey, and taking off feels like trying to run a race while both dizzy and drunk! Good fun though.

Pfffffffttttt. :P

Fishbreath’s Universal Hovering Tips:

1. Focus on a distant landmark rather than the ground nearby.
  2. Trim carefully. All of the DCS helos have a different takeoff trim than their default trim. Learn it, set it before running up the collective.
  3. When hovering, don’t hold the cyclic in a deflected position. Tap it in the direction you want to correct, then return it to center.

Yeah I can read my cockpit just fine. Most of it. Some of the smaller labels in the mirage pit remain indecipherable but the things that matter are fine. Just hold the screen close enough to your face that it covers about half your field view :p

I have dabbled in helicoptrism but not mastered any of these whirlybeasts to any degree. Trim’s the word tho. Listen to the man. He be right.

Thanks alot, I am already getting alot better. The tip of setting the trim prior to running up the collective was especially good.

I also thought this video was great, supposedly by one of the Huey pilots Belsimtek used as a consultant:

He talks about the key to stable flight being anticipating the corrections needed and re-centering the cyclic before the helicopter fully responds to your correction (if that makes sense), I think that idea is closely related to what you were saying about tapping the cyclic to correct as opposed to holding it (which will lead to terrible overreactions which was one of the things ruining me before).

Good fun!

Making some solid progress with the Huey over here:

hey, it aint burning and is mostly in one piece…

Looks like the grass got a good trim too.

Did you walk out of that? Because if you did, it was a good landing. ;)

“There are three rules to successfully landing a helicopter. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.”

Planes have beautiful wings, they seduce the air into carrying them aloft. Helicopters operate differently; they just beat the air into submission