Recent air combat sim recommendations?

While I’m anxiously waiting for my video card to get here…

FUCK YEA BABY!

Of course I dropped my 70 bucks as soon as I could. This is going to rock.

They have confirmed allmost feature complete on release, only stuff like the recce pod missing. That means its almost like a strike eagle, but from a carrier. So not just slinging phoenixes at backfires.

Also the A model with the ultra crappy engines is slated for post release. I can deal with that.

And also missing content like missions, campaigns, and training. And possibly the manual?

But yeah been looking forward to this one and will be picking it up for sure!

Pointed out by the folks at r/hoggit: the Tomcat’s original first flight date was 12/21/70, and December 21st is indeed part of the quoted winter 2018 release date.

Is a good point on the missions. The Hornet is still pretty anemic in that area. Takes a lot of effort to make a good scripted campaign. I never pre-order, but I’m sure I’ll pick it up when I can download it.

Holy moly. My childhood dream just came true. (Well, apart from flying the SR-71). This is going to be amazing in VR!!

Settings to full!

100fps on the deck. I’m overjoyed.

(I would have taken a picture with the Hornet in the same place as my last landing, but as I mentioned, my most common miss is smacking into the fantail.)

Congrats mate! Perhaps now that you have proper frames, rampstrikes won’t have to be as common no more, eh? And you can finally get into those campaigns.

Have you celebrated it with preordering your very own kittycat?

You might also want to upgrade to this from your tired old trackIR:

Ugh, $399 for an evga 1070ti on Amazon.

Probably would improve on a gtx970. I’m getting that sick feverish feeling that happens before I buy something pricey I should really wait on…

Edit: NO DAMNIT. I’m going to wait and save up for a higher res set of goggles and card that will drive it.

If it’s the FTW ultra-quiet, that’s the one I got, which is working brilliantly so far. Still, though, you’ll probably only get a 20%-30% framerate bump, which probably isn’t worth it if you’re waiting for better VR.

Tonight’s landing attempts: fantail, fantail, bolter, fantail, #4 wire, #3 wire. Getting there! My major problem is poor altitude control in the turn to final, and poor timing on same. I haven’t yet had an approach where I finish the turn onto final and can immediately call the ball.

Also, I’m remembering how to fly helicopters, and finding the Harrier much easier to manage at high frame rates.

Undoubtedly I will, but I’m going to try to convince my usual flight sim buddy to go in on the two-pack. Jester AI or no, I’m sure it’ll be more fun with a human in the other seat.

I like the idea of VR for old-school flight sims, but I rely on written checklists for DCS, and there’s still not a great solution there.

map kneeboard to hotas. use kneeboard exporter utility to put your checklist on kneeboard. profit.

HOLY COWWWWWW

What are you systems specs (outside of VC)?

…and the base game that is made with (those are NOT prerendered!) is a free download! you can just install it, set up a fight in the mission editor and watch it play out using external cameras :)

as a screenshot generator, DCS is free.

The video card is the only really notable part. My CPU is the i5 2500K I bought out of college in 2011, most of my games are still installed on a spinny hard drive, and my 16gb of RAM date to the same time.

I’d love to upgrade more, but RAM costs hurt nowadays. My 16gb of RAM cost $90 in 2011. The same amount is $200-$300 now.

Some day. There are other things on my list first.

Yup I can see that ;-) I am happy for you to get to see it all turned up to 11 tho!

Wow and you get that good of frame rate? That’s amazing!

No lie: I was saying exactly the same thing to a coworker less than thirty seconds ago. It’s amazing how well the rest of my September 2011 parts hold up to a modern graphics card. DCS and Total War: Warhammer both run buttery smooth, and neither game is particularly easy on CPU. It’s certainly the case that the PC parts I had in 2005 wouldn’t have lasted six years without handicapping the rest of the system.

Of course if you throw a big, complex mission at it with a lot of AI and a lot of scripting and triggers and whatnot, that old CPU is going to get on its knees and beg for mercy.