Recent air combat sim recommendations?

countermeasure setup in the hornet is a bitch, especially since you really don’t want to do that on the ground (or ship) because you need to arm up the jet for that.

Aha! But that’s the quality stuff which comes from learning and actually achieving something hard.

Ah, to be a flight sim snob :)

hon hon hon oui oui mon ami

I just greased my landing in the MiG-29 for the first time. Not a pretty landing but the plane could be reused and that’s what counts. all of the chemicals on that one. No shots because I was too busy being happy about not scrapping the little bastard plane.

Some great random thoughts @Anklebiter, but I think I agree more with @Fishbreath.

IL2 career mode is better than random mission generator, but the environment isn’t as dynamic as in Falcon or EF2000. You may fly in support of the 1st Tank Corps over Kletskaya but you don’t get to see the Soviet armour towards Kalach. Rather than being immersed in a continuous simulation, it is apparent that the simulation moves forward in big time steps.

Simulating well the Eastern Front ground war or any other major WW2 land campaign is indeed a harder problem than simulating modern campaigns. Especially so if these take place over big bodies of water.

On the other hand @Anklebiter you are totally on the money with the thing of modern sims putting the rewards very far away or behind the mechanical application of procedures and execution of tasks lists. I do a lot of work programming and producing research, so I have a hard time finding those activities “fun” outside of the scope of work.

I would be rather be working - programming, analyzing a datset - than pretending to fly a modern jet fighter, as I find myself exercising the same parts of my brain but without a practical purpose :)

Hey, did someone say EF2000?! Hi guys!

I prefer the EECH dynamic campaign because you can direct ground forces (I think?) and take over territory.

I think peak “fun” was the MicroProse Pacific Air War/European Air War games. Realistic pilot behaviors, name your squadron mates, dynamic campaign.

Not the most realism, but I think PAW was probably peak “fun.” I’d love to see that design modernized.

@Fishbreath Don’t get me wrong about Falcon 4.0. The campaign is genuinely great. I wouldn’t be surprised if less than 10% of those who purchased it actually got far enough in it to see any positive progress though. It’s glory did not exactly energize the genre. I hope ED considers a different route, or at least adds some character / squadron traits into it.

@MiquelRamirez I hear what you are saying with the work thing and feel the same. I’ve bounced off too many sims from it. The game changer for me is the fidelity of DCS and VR. The experience flying the Hornet, Viggen etc. is freaking incredible. The feeling of flight… the sounds… just being there. This is a whole different ballgame. The procedures are limited, and once you learn them, you don’t really have to think about them. A good HOTAS helps tremendously. I strongly feel everybody on this forum should give it a go.

You are CORRECT sir…

@Fishbreath one more note on the Falcon campaign while I’m thinking of it. They had budget. The narrative you describe is a bunch of connected AI pieces. Screw that up too much and it falls apart, or is sterile. I’d be concerned with ED’s ability to pull something like that off with their resources in this century.

Edit: And if they try, I hope they also incorporate some of the elements of EAW etc. to fall back on.

I think we are all vehemently in agreement here ;-)

Let’s just wait and see what Wags and his guys cook up and in the meantime enjoy booting up our hogs to blast time shifted nazi zombies :D

Cheers @Anklebiter. I actually have Flaming Cliffs 3 and I enjoy very much the detail. It is a beautiful sim, but hasn’t just clicked in with me.

I sadly have issues with VR… at least with the earliest headsets ( I was an early adopter…). They made me terribly sick. Maybe the newest generation of hardware will sit better with me, but it’s not like I feel like spending big bucks on stuff I may not be able to use… twice.

Anyways, flying an A10 over Normandy disintegrating Panthers, Tigers and what not in VR must be quite awesome.

Here’s me sitting shaking in my cockpit after the hairiest fucking landing I ever pulled off:

Anyone have recommendations for a simple, low clutter way to use a HOTAS setup comfortably? I’ve had a CH Fighterstick and throttle for years that I rarely use because I’ve never found a functional way to put them on my desk without mounts or stands or other cluttered solutions. I’m not a hardcore flight simmer after all, just a guy who wants to use his HOTAS from time to time.

I put them right on the edge of my desk and put the chair to its highest elevation. It aint perfect but it has to do. Do you VR? In that case a lawn chair and a couple beer cases make a pretty good ghetto cockpit if you have the room to spare.

I bought a cheap laptop lap board and attached my CH stuff to that with velcro. When not in use I just put it off to the side. Actually works amazingly well.

I did the same thing to Warthog set, but those are heavy as hell, so I bought a better lapdesk from Amazon and bolted them on.

@schurem That the mission I think it is? I’m going through 1-5 right now and cleaning them up. Mission 1 is optimized better and I’m adding more feedback for your kills. Definitely improving with the Mission Editor.

Cool! For the amount of shit going on, 5 was amazingly playable. I think you only need to lessen the load by say 30% of the frogfeet, and change them to something a little less durable and gun-armed and that mish is almost done.

Ooh this might be the answer I’ve been looking for. I need something I can hide in a closet easily when I’m not using it and this seems like a good fit. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Or you could do like this guy did and build a cockpit that folds down to a bench

OK, I do almost all my gaming on my PS4 these days (other than strategy games and Football Manager 2018.) But I think I need to build a PC just to play OFF and now WOTC.