Recent air combat sim recommendations?

We do have the Spitfire, F-5 Tiger II, Mig-15, Mig-21, Me-109, FW-190, Saber, etc., which contradict complex stick settings, but your point is well taken. Still, it’s not like operating war machinery at least at a certain level has been anathema to gaming. There is room there in the mainstream…

I already have. It’s called Wings over Flanders Fields and it’s amazing. Which I’ve said many times.

Oops, I wasn’t clear. I meant a DCS scripted campaign. If one was available that offered “Character of the world, character of your pilot, character of the conflict etc etc.”, and also, a campaign with little to no switchology, would you review it? Could you do it in VR?

I was thinking of this one…

I don’t have VR, but I’d be willing to give it a shot. Even some of the best classics had scripted campaigns.

Awesome. Would mean a lot.

Probably some cold startups there, but they shouldn’t be too bad. Think of them like creating a base and units in a RTS.

I am making Time Pilot which turns it all up to 11 with a minimal of “switchology”, but that won’t be out for awhile. DCS is something special, no doubt.

Hmmm. We need to do something about that VR lack. Any plans to adopt?

Not a combat sim, but dropping a post in case some of y’all like sims in general. (And it does have a T-38 and T-50…) The early beta of Fly Inside Flight Sim is out. 90 fps in VR with high details, includes almost $400 worth of payware planes for $32 ($25 if you bought FlyInside). Posted about it in the Civilian Flight Sim thread.

The Museum Relic campaign is one of the most fun things I have ever experienced in a sim. I’d rate it (at least the first runs of each mission) as more interesting than the falcon campaign even!

I know WOFF and WOTR have amazeballs mission generation. But to me last centuries’ graphics, sound and flight modelling just don’t cut it. I bought WOFF for like 45 bucks some time ago on Brian’s fiery reccomendation and bounced off it hard.

I guess there’s still room for different tastes and predilections. And that is great. I love you guys on the other side of the fence.

Yeah, the planes in WOFF are so well behaved compared to their ROF counterparts that it really breaks the immersion for me. I’m looking for an experience, not a toy box, but I also need it to feel like flying a plane, and WOFF doesn’t cut that mustard for me. High hopes for Flying Circus, because I think Il-2 really does sit in the sweet spot right now. I keep meaning to pick up the A-10c and Huey DCS campaigns. Next sale, maybe.

at ten bucks a pop its not like they are very expensive.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/campaigns/f-15c_the_georgian_war_campaign/

This is a bit more expensive, as you’d also need to have either the MiG-15 or Sabre (I’d go for the MiG, I own both and prefer the MiG.)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/campaigns/the_museum_relic_campaign/

On the gripping hand, that MiG is slated to be part of MAC, the new airplane bundle that they are releasing for the Xmas season. So you might want to wait for that.

Hope they give some kind of discount for MAC to FC3 owners, as I think there’s a significant airframe overlap, and as far as I know those planes aren’t getting any upgrades to be in MAC. I’ll certainly pick it up if so. If not, will wait for the inevitable sale.

yeah there will be a discount. how much is yet to be seen.

upgrades… depends if you consider simplified startup procedures etc. an upgrade ;-)

Upgrades to the FC3 versions of the planes.

I love them too. I just suspect that said fence is artificial, posted down with bullet points established a lot of years ago. Seems like things have changed. My motivations are purely for the greater good of all gamers :) I’m a regular gamma-philanthropist :)

If nothing else, you could say flight sim fans are a passionate bunch. That means something right there…

Well, the MiG-29 just last week received a new flight model. That puts all of the FC3 planes on a par to the “full fat” modules when it comes to flight modeling. And boy is the MiG a handful! For now the MiG-29 PFM is only on the openbeta branch. Release probably this week, maybe next.

The other planes in FC3 most likely are not going to be upgraded much. One did get added last summer tho, the Chinese version of the mighty flanker, the J-11. It’s a flanker for all intents and puproses but it does get the snazzy R-77 active radar seeker missiles. And Chinese cockpit labelling.

The cool thing about Modern Air Combat is that it will give you a slice of the various maps for DCS. Whereas FC3 was just Eastern Europe, MAC will include bits of the Persian Gulf, Eastern Europe and Nevada.

Tech here is awesome. Time of day, shadowing, ground textures, etc. are best in class for this type of game.

PLUS. You get a bunch of planes that FC3 is missing, and most of those planes are analogue, so the missing clickable cockpit won’t be a huge deal.

Swooping like a barn swallow in the F-5 is a freaking riot; especially with those twin cannons! (Ok, so this is the killer app of VR. It’s been said enough.)

Seems like a solid expansion pack for FC3. If they offer a discount, that would be gravy.

Yeah, hence my wonder at the discount since there’s a significant overlap between FC3 and MAC.

Having worked up my proficiency in the various Hornet systems, I decided to try a mission I found over on the official forums. Not too hard, nice simple tasking, and (crucially) a good briefing, which is always hard to find and nice to have.

All the training effort came together, to my delight. From a fast cold start on the carrier, to good use of the autopilot en route, to good recovery upon missing the target on my first pass, to an arrested landing eventually on my fourth try, everything went better than usual. I’m going to try to grab some scenes from the track later tonight, I think, and assemble a little video. Edit: ha, no I won’t, because as ever, DCS tracks aren’t worth the disk space they’re stored on.

I’ll have to install it again at some point, but my recollection is that it was really showing the age of the underlying cfs3 engine. At this point though I don’t how much I’d like going back to the trackir from the oculus headset for flying.

Hoo, boy, I hope the tutorials get a serious rework for MAC, because the FC3 ones are kinda garbage.

A little bit of real MiG-29K action, shared by a Russian pilot:

(Caption: “What happens in the sky stays in the sky.”) That glass cockpit is pretty snazzy. Also, I should take the new PFM MiG-29 for a spin.