Recent air combat sim recommendations?

I’ve been really tempted by the L-39. I’ve wanted to fly one ever since seeing it in a video by a guy that used to make short movies using MS flight simulator 10.

And I’m tempted by the C-101. Kinda the same deal, a two seat trainer lite attack. The new flight model released for it today and the combat version with “Sea Eagle” missile is getting really good reviews.

Biggest difference (aside from being third party) is the C-101 is western, with TACAN and other western systems.

Interesting. With latest DCS beta, reports are that hands show up in VR allowing you to push buttons and manipulate stick + throttle using Oculus controllers. Not sure how that will work with a HOTAS, but I’ll dust em off over the weekend to check it out and report back.

Now if only there was a version of the oculus controller that was like a ring, so you can wear it while manipulating a HOTAS and also point at shit with it…

I love this video. Random callouts to diehard flight simmmers, then openly telling me to get some friends.

Lol yup. I look forward to the day that I’ll be my sons flight instructor / RIO tho :D

“Dad, you mean they actually put people inside drones way back then? No way.”

Hey @Left_Empty I’m surprised you’ve not regaled us with your EF2000 adventures in this thread.

I was a bit scared that those might not be welcomed here, given the “recent” part of the intitule!

Also, I am so new to the genre, I am fearing to just walk into the steps a lot have been fortunate to… err just a sec, that allegory is falling apart.
Anyway, I was scared that’d be “same old, same old” to the veterans around here. I’m just a 40yo teen finally living his 1990s’ dream!

Flight sim stories are always welcome here. I’ve always taken the ‘recent’ to modify ‘recommendations’, whatever the original intent was.

Hot joystick and HOTAS stories never get old

We all know our high Yo-Yo’s from our split-S’s and love watching fledglings mix the two up :D

Note also that the “recent” in the thread title is from way the fuck back lol.

I have a question about Il-2 1946 (I’ve been training at it a bit again, inspired by schurem up there). I read in the 4.10 patch notes that

When you get within 25% of the current Service limit a “G” will be displayed on the top of the speedbar. As you get to within 10% of the current Service limit the “G” will begin to flash. The process being reversed as you reduce the G.

My question is to ask whether there is a way (a mod?) to display the G value that way. It is a number I have been missing, and I’d love to be able to refer to it and gauge my plane’s efforts while I am learning.

Gomen nasai buddy, I have no idea.

It’s been years since I flew that sim. Just as it ended its official support and entered its modding phase I stored my hotas and got into console gaming for a couple years. It’s only when VR hit that I rekindled my passion for simulated flight.

You shouldn’t need a G or alpha meter, the rattle of your airframe and change in the sound of the airflow as it starts to become turbulent should be all the clues you need. Experiment with those. Listen close as you slowly pull further back. Just before your wings snaps down in a stall you should hear the sound of the air increase and sound rougher.

I did some training dogfighting sessions (aboard a P-40, which is a surprisingly nimble little beast).
Indeed, relying on sound cues and the way the plane reacts, or begin to stop to react is much more intuitive than eyeing a little “G” in the corner of the screen.
I have had difficulties with pulling from dive maneuvers though. It seems you have to be extra cautious then, as the wings can snap in less than a second if not careful.

One of my greatest sim epiphanies has been that pulling the pole to the stops often leads to far fewer degrees of nose-across-the-sky than pulling about halfway or wherever just before the onset of the noise is. Almost never is pulling-to-the-stops a good idea.

I reinventig the wheel but indeed, reading “speed is everything” sounded like a stupid motto before, until I began to understand what it really means to move “smoothly” around as to preserve it. I have been slowly getting away from the reflex of wanting to track the target with the reticle. I may be a bit too conservative now, but that’s actually less of an issue than breaking your plane or stalling it all the time ;)

No, you are learning to ride a bicycle. It’s different. Every (desk)pilot needs to learn this for him/herself. It gives me huge kicks to read you discovering this. How you found the word smooth yourself to describe efficient maneouvering. Elegance is the name of the game here. Make it look good. Like a dance. Chances are good you will then be efficient.

Speed is life, except if you are way above corner velocity…

You may wish to look into a little utility named TacView. This also works for Il2-1946 iirc and it is a great tool for learning from your mistakes.

Anybody here have an Edtracker Pro? I just ordered one and I’m interested to see if QT3 folks approve.