Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Oh, man, the Crusader… Probably my #1 want. Read “Last of the Gunfighters” by Adm. Paul Gillcrist if you want to read the kind of real-life experiences that would make amazing sim moments.

Need the map, too.

Never had this experience. Seems like flying in DCS is as simple as any other game, like Crimson Skies. Sure, there is some complexity if you want to git gud, but isn’t depth in a game a good thing?

Never had any control issues either, even with VR. Plugged in joystick. Mapped the gun to trigger and missiles to the top thumb button and away I’ve gone. In most cases, I wouldn’t need to map these, but I guess I’m used to that type of stuff with PC gaming.

edit: the default.lua for the A-10C is over 1000 lines long

Maybe like the FC3 planes, although even that is a stretch!

Yeah. I’m really interested in getting the “simple” Flanker off the tarmac and onto the runway without having to use, you know, toe brakes and stuff. Other than “air start”, you know :p

Runway start is a thing? Seriously, this sim is not hard to fly. Sure if you go crazy on the stick at low speeds you will crash in some of the planes, but aside from that little “complexity” it may as well be Crimson Skies.

I guess they have sort of simulated the idea of flight for alot of years now in video games based on the real deal, and DCS is no different. The mechanics aren’t exactly mysterious.

Look, if you want to collect 25 yeti hides in this game, you can. If you go to the wrong zone you will get killed. If you want to raid? Much depth here. Best part, it’s based on real engineering.

Goddamn it, I built a mission for Hornet where you have to kill ~75 109s before they sink your boat. You have unlimited weapons and explodatron powerups that take out entire wings if you take advantage of them. Frame rates A-OK on a 970.

Just look at the screens that have been posted throughout the thread. This thing is a visceral extravaganza, and in VR, nothing on the market comes close.

Missile contrails crisscrossing the sky, swirling burning pieces of twisted metal splashing staccato in the water, topsy-turvey sun, sky, clouds painted by tracers and adrenaline…

I showed it to my sister, who is not a gamer and she said, “you could charge money for people to play this like at an amusement park”.

Yup. What a time we live in. Relegating DCS to a tiny sim box and blaming it for the “lost fun” of Micropose yore is just stupid. It’s not hard to set up. The planes are not hard to fly. The experience, especially in VR is completely unprecedented in PC gaming and not to be missed.

… or the mission before that, where ~50 SU-25s decided (wacked out story reasons) that they must kamikaze an aircraft carrier… the carrier that you must land on. What a scene! Holy shit! Those carriers have a full modern defense systems, with supporting boats… Shit is exploding everywhere with full realistic physics. The kamikaze plains are like insects flocking to an electrical bug zapper, with bug parts raining down everywhere.

Aside from that, you are landing on a fucking aircraft carrier in VR. Beat that any other game. Add to that the sheer chaos of mass kamikaze attack and well. Cool?

(Pic from Schurem after successful mission test)

Yup, that was awesome. Moar?

However I do not think we’ll ever see @tomchick @scharmers or @BrianRubin crowing about getting their tomcat down on their first try or the feeling of pure power hoonage as they pull a mirage into the vertical. Even if the learning curve is more a perceived thing, it’s what they fear and loathe. Let 'em.

I try not to evangelize too much. I hate a door to door preacher. Wouldn’t wanna be one. But I do like to sing DCS’ praise once in a while!

If anyone needs help getting over the hump, or some explaining of pilot stuff like G forces, AoA, etc I’m here all day.

You calling me out, son?

MiG-15 or F-86, your choice, we meet at dawn at angels 6 over kobuleti. Bring it :D

Son I was parking Tomcats on carriers in Fleet Defender and writing protoblogs about landing F-15s upside down while you were still downloading .jpgs of Claudia Schiffer on eMule

I think that setting up hybrid Exchange is a pretty straightforward process, too, but I’m making a pretty nice living helping out some pretty smart admins having difficulty setting it up, LOL

giphy

God damned right. pours one out for Microprose

I’ll still need ten hours to read the manual, do some training and then learn how to taxi, so gimme a few days okay?

We could do an airstart. Just need to know what button fires the guns.

Is simple machine, farm boy from kolchoze can fly it, you can too tovarish!

Amen brother, amen. But the past is the past. And I rather live in the present and the future than in the past.

also, why does this gorram forum not have a like button?!

Some things are better in the present and future, some things are better in the past.

Like spaceship shooter games?

Wow. #shotsfired