Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Huh. I wonder what it is used for. Like the sidewinder they use against SAM Radar in the Harrier?

Apparently it was a ā€œnormalā€ AIM-9X, not a dedicated version like the former ARM variant (Sidearm). They might be using the IR seeker for target homing, like some sort of airborne Javelin. That was part of the block II acceptance trials.

The fact they used it from a F-15C (that has no AG capability otherwise) and on very fast moving targets (including speedboatsā€¦ You know whose speedboats everybody is worried about these days btw) might give a few clues regarding what they were expecting from it (last resort?), but results were apparently not stellar.

How about NOT AT ALL recent air combat sims?

Iā€™m streaming Janeā€™s Fighters Anthology tomorrow. Wanna be ready.

Now thereā€™s a game that could do with a 1 to 1 remake in unreal or unity. It had everything, from a MiG-15 to a B-2 and from an F-117 to an AC-130U and literally everything in between. And just enough systems and flight modelling to make differences between aircraft tactically significant.

I have great memories of it.

Me too, which is why Iā€™m so excited to return to it.

JFA is nothing close to ā€œrealā€, and back then most of us didnā€™t give a damn, because it was just so fun.

So many neat screen gadgets and gimgaws never duplicated again. Want to see your flight envelope while youā€™re flying? No problem. Want to see an inverse-tactical-view of the missile that the nearest hostile just fired? Sure, put that in a little window, too. Oh, and want to fly the X-23 against the Vietnamese? Yeah, we can do that.

I have that big black box in the closet, and when I go to sleep at night I have to shut my ears against all the sexy nostalgic things it whispers

It was a little bit of Advanced Tactical Fighters for me, but mainly Longbow 2 and 688(i).

purple cockpits :)

In the ā€œNot sure who asked for thisā€ department, TK has migrated his Unity-based smartphone sim Strike Fighters Legends over to Windows 10. (https://bit.ly/2MN7eaz)

SFL is a nice little time-waster on a phone, but I imagine playing it on a PC would be like watching paint dry. Plus, $25. Seriously.

Well, I know who didnā€™t.

Itā€™s still fun! Sure, I got my ass handed to me several times, but my god is it still a joy to play. Might be the easiest of the Janeā€™s sims to install too. It gave me no issues during installation, ran fine in a window, and only crashed once in four hours.

God, Iā€™d love to see the Paul Grace Janeā€™s sims redone with a modern 3D engine. Imagine.

As for TK, I just wish heā€™d fix Strike Fighters (the real one) to work properly on Win 10. Even in compatibility mode itā€™s glitchy.

Crimson Skies in some flash-and-chrome modern engine is one of my dream games.

Built my VR simpit with my T16000M, a cheap chair, pole mounts, and some industrial strength velcro. Works great! A big improvement over sitting in a chair trying to balance the HOTAS on a lap desk.

Used this video for the parts:

I used the single-joint mounts, though, so my version sits nicely flush with the arms. The joystick and throttle hang quite a bit further off the mount bases, so I was worried they would just tip forward. But, even though they are secured by velcro only on the back half, they are really stable.

Canā€™t wait to go flying.

That looks great mate!

Iā€™m currently planning on grabbing monster tech mounts next year. I wish they were based in the us or had a distribution point here. A $50 shipping fee bites.

Nice! Yeah, I have the Monster Tech mounts on my desk, and it definitely beats having them sitting forward on the top of the desk. I imagine your solution was way less expensive.

That looks amazing!

Have a look at Foxx Mount for a US based solution. I donā€™t have them but Reddit seems to like them and you can get a set for $175 that includes shipping.

Cool, I will have to look into that.