Recent air combat sim recommendations?

There were several shots in there that were indistinguishable from reality for me.

Guys, having a bitch of a time installing Mig Alley under Windows 10. Got the main setup installed from the cd-rom by using Windows 98 compatibility, but the 1.2.3 patch is giving me nothing but grief. It gets stuck on one troublesome exe (tt2.exe) because it says itā€™s 16-bit and wonā€™t install under a 64-bit OS.

Dang it looks like they sprinkled a bit of FS2020 visual magic into DCS.

Damn, Iā€™ve never been able to get Mig Alley working on Win10. If you figure it out let me know.

MiG Alley pretty much remains in its final unmodded form and is probably unplayable in Windows 10. The folks who modded/hacked Rowan sims pretty much focused only on BoB2.

I mean I love BoB2 donā€™t get me wrong but fuuuuuck Mig Alley is so goooooooood.

Hit 'em lead, pound 'em!

It seems to be a thing with combat flight sims of the early Windows 95/98 era, especially Janeā€™s, incompatibility issues with Windows 10. Even BOB2 runs with deal-breaking problems (for me at least) if you want to play the latest patched version (2.13?) with all the extras/enhancements under Windows 10. Sometimes you can jump through hoops and get them working with 3DFX wrappers (ie Janeā€™s F-15) or something but even there youā€™re going to get quirks like exiting submenus to black screens. Iā€™m beginning to think itā€™s just not worth it. Every now & then a dedicated crazed fan will do a complete patch to get these old combat flight sims working well under Win10, like Kilngon Academy.

Watching Japanese aircraft carriers burn off the battle of Midway, all these moments will be lostā€¦ Like tears in the rain.

Well, we have our memories at least. First combat sim I ever played was Activisionā€™s F-14 Tomcat for the C64 so many years ago. It was on the arcadey side but man did I love building a career and ending up with the Congressional Medal of Honor though it was easy to cheese it because the Tomcat was so fappinā€™ powerful and you could use the standard tactic of just doing a vertical climb at full power, leaving your weak adversaries beneath eating your vapor trail, then just turning and blasting them out of the sky 5 miles below with your fire-and-forget arsenal. Project Stealth Fighter (the cut-down C64 version of F-19) was a blast too. I should get Strike Fighters 2 since it strikes that fun balance between serious sim & arcade goodness.

Yeah it definitely hits that sweet spot, and has mods to basically turn it into as close to a new Mig Alley as possible. Itā€™s wonderful.

Wings Over Korea? Looks enticing. Maybe I shouldnā€™t even bother with Mig Alley these days. I havenā€™t seriously played a combat flight sim in years but looks like I might have to get my old Thrustmaster T.16000M stick out of storage and have some fun.

Yeah this mod:

https://combatace.com/files/category/388-strike-fighters-2-series-by-thirdwire/

There are these and SO MANY OTHERS for the game its silly. Iā€™ve got dozens of hours in it and Iā€™m still on the vanilla campaigns (Iā€™ve not yet tired of flying the A-10 in this game).

Oh another thing I love about SF2 is it respects my time. It plops me in five minutes from my target area, lets me do my thing, and then hitting ESC lets me end the mission successfully as if I flew back to base myself. SO GREAT.

But it still allows you to do full from take-off to crash-landing runs if I wanted to get hardcore about it, right? It gets good reviews from even the hardcore simmers over on SimHQ in reviews for that site, and the site reviewer listed only a single Con after a long list of Pros: ā€œThe voice overs and radio chatter all sound like theyā€™re from rednecks, which makes me feel right at home but may be disconcerting to some.ā€ lol. Iā€™m guessing probably even that can be corrected with mods. It has a massive amount of them I see (10,000?!) and thatā€™s always a great sign of a thriving interest and longevity in a product.

All you need is the complete SF2 library (TK is selling the whole kit and caboodle again as one package), then patch it up with NATO Fighters 5. The helpful chaps at CombatAce will hook you up.

Sure does, if thatā€™s what you want.

DCS is running a promo right now where all the planes are unlocked for free. I think the JF-17 Thunder is the only plane I donā€™t own ā€“ and it also has the smallest discount in the sale. Because they know that demand to fly the JF-17 is so high they donā€™t need to discount it? Weird.

New on Steam is the VR-supporting, terribly named WW I sim Tactical Warfare Simulator. Iā€™m already not flying biplanes that I own in IL-2 because yawn, so Iā€™m not likely to pick this up until itā€™s on a deep sale. If then, given that graphics look just slightly better than Red Baron 3Dā€¦

What say yā€™all about Project Wingman at this point? @BrianRubin, I see you have it. Iā€™d like to pick it up, but concerned about some reports of HOTAS support issues.

Off to go fly the JF-17 for free for a while before getting ready to fly VR MSFS all day tomorrow. :)

It works great with my HOTAS. Also great with mouse and keyboard.

Thanks! And is it fun? :)