Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Perhaps something the new Microprose might put out…

In the meantime, if you haven’t checked out VTOL VR, you should.

How dare you okay that’s kind of accurate but how dare you.

Fixed that for ya.

The latest DCS newsletter announced an Apache Longbow (estimated late 2021), and provided an update on the dynamic campaign engine (external beta testing also late 2021).

You guys are invited as well :D

New Clouds

Volumetric

hero7.png

The wait is almost over, and the new clouds for DCS World will be introduced in the 1st quarter of 2021. In addition to being visually stunning, the new clouds will block visual and optical sensor line of sight and be synchronized online.

You missed a trick not calling it Flight Club, imo.

knock that shit off

*** triggered ***

Do you all actually use the trim feature if it’s assigned to your joystick hat? Trying to figure out how important that is.

Trim is super important. I assign it to a wheel on my throttle.

I’m using this as a very rough guide (don’t have that stick). I can’t find radar left and radar right. That’s not RadarCCW and RadarCW is it?

Not on a hornet, it’s a bit of an afterthought on that machine. I only ever trim that one when I’ve dropped a big fat bomb from one wing and not the other.

@jpinard, that looks like a horrible scheme. Refer to your chucks’ guide for a better one. For example this one wastes a ton of controls on things like lights while breaking the workflows of sensor operations.

You don’t trim for onspeed AoA when landing?

Hmmm. Perhaps I should ;-) No, I just fly it onto the deck.

I’m sorry. I can’t seem to find the link for it. Could you repost it?

The ideal HOTAS setup is on page 9. Try to replicate that as closely as you can on your HOTAS. You can use shift states and designate a button as a shift button in the DCS controls window, but I’d advise against it. It only makes shit more complicated and well… these things are complicated enough in and of themselves.

I have another question if you don’t mind. One of the things I’m really struggling with is how you switch targeting modes? If that’s the right term. Like what keyboard shortcuts are used to change between the different ways of shooting/targeting the AMRAAM, Guns etc, without having to manually flick switched on the MFD.

Also I pretty much bork my attacks if I click the wrong button sometimes. I’m trying to zero in, then I click something wrong and my MFD is all crazy. Then I can’t seem to get back to what I was supposed to be doing. Do you run into that too? Everything is so messed up you feel the need to restart the mission? It makes me afraid to click around as it’s like wandering around Mordor blindfolded lol.

Here’s where having your HOTAS set correctly comes in. The hornet should have a four-way hat bound to air-to-air weapons selection. This puts the radar in the right mode for the weapon selected and overrides what you’re doing with bombs or anything. Very useful. On the viper that’s done even better.
So the workflow is like this: (and we’re skipping the long range stuff here) Switch it to AIM-9’s. Maneouver to put the bandit in your HUD. Wait for the missile to make a high pitched tone. Fire (using the trigger on the hornet!) If he’s too close, switch to guns. Put the dot on the thing and let rrrrip.
C’est tout! (and getting it right can take a lifetime of study and exercise, to me personally it’s like a martial art)

Huh. Makes me wonder what button you punched there ;-) There’s rarely ever a way to truly bork the settings on a jet. On your dash, left upper side, there’s two little square buttons, loft of the MFD. AA and AG. Use these to tell the jet to unfuck itself and get to the bombin’ (or shootin’). Right below them is master arm, a very useful switch to not forget to set prior to engagement ;-)

DCS gets a lot of flack in certain circles for the complexity of the clickable cockpits. But once you get comfortable with them, they are far easier to deal with than a ton of keyboard chords and “press 1 for nav mode” bullshit. These machines have their own user interface design logic, and it often is pretty good actually. Does take some doing wrapping your head around it though ;-)

Does the hornet already have its interactive training missions? Those ought to tell you what you need to know, and also pretty importantly what controls should be on the HOTAS.

In MSFS I had some icing on the windscreen the other day. So I went to the options screen to look up the key combo for the window de-icer. Tried it, but that turned on the fuel dump valve! Flight ended on a road in the savanna. Would have been better had that pit had a de-icer switch labelled “ice” or somesuch thing.

So I just played Super Huey III for the first time y’all, it was fun in a simplistic way.