Recent air combat sim recommendations?

I asked about a discount for previous owners, “Not that I am aware of. This is a standalone version, not unlike going from Civilization 4 to 5, etc.”

I gotta admit that line of thinking makes my eyes roll way the hell outta my head.

But as I also mentioned over there, WOFF is boutique software created by like two dudes who seemingly do nothing else. It’s the Dwarf Fortress of flight sims. So that is why I gladly line up to pony up my shekels for what is essentially a major update patch.

And with that being said, the $60 hit is still a little brutal.

Agreed. But I’m gonna buy it. Because I love these guys.

Just backup your installer everyone.

On the bright side, I don’t have to find my WOFF disc. (That’s how long ago I bought it.)

Anyone tried WINGS OVER THE REICH, THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN? I’m not a big WWI air combat fan, but Battle of Britain is right up my alley.

Not sure I can go back to non-VR flying, though. I assume it’ll at least support my TrackIR emulator?

I have tried WoTR, it’s still early days but you can see that WoFF flair in it. Hopefully they’ll get back to that now that this is done. Oh and it does support TrackIR. Scharmers will have to report back in the VorpX thingy.

It’s… okay. It’s got the same single-player DNA as WOFF. Problem is that there’s more switchology (engine management, etc.) and if I’m gonna go that route, I’ll just go with IL2:BoX with its native VR and far better graphics. And WOTR is no BoB2, either.

WOFF supports TrackIR natively.

LOLOL

DCS 2.7 is out today. Download the open beta installer here to get it: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

GIMME THEM CLOUDS 😮😮😮

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIqnq1vaQtI

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew –
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and brought some beer to God

notice the loadout on the plane :D

This 55GB update is taking forever. Getting 0.8 MB/s. I apologize, MS Flight Sim, about the things I said about your update speed yesterday. It was 25x faster.

RAF on an ale delivery mission?

It took longer for it to copy the existing files from the non beta directory than the download did for me. I’m on a 150mbps cable connection, installed it around 14:00 EDT today. Sorry you’re having a bad time with it :(

Schurem: Your beer bomb is awesome! 😂

So do the new clouds impact DCS’s FPS at all?

All the reports I’ve seen so far say that performance is better in 2.7 than it was before. Some of it from optimizations and such, but also a big part of it is that the old as dirt pixel cloud system they were using is a lot less efficient than modern volumetric cloud rendering. So the new clouds not only look much nicer but they use less GPU power to render. Win win! :) With the clouds set to Ultra I’m seeing the same level of performance or better than I was before in the very limited time I’ve spent in 2.7 so far.

Yup, smooth as butter.

Awesome!

I picked up the -21, and I really don’t know why :\

Because you a man, lugging around huge brass cohones. Did you know the ground crews used to drink the radar coolant? And go blind from the methanol content ;-) Is much cheeki breeki jet, comrade.

So pretty.

Wow, got chills.

To celebrate the DCS 2.7 release, I flew three straight sorties in WOFF2 last night. I guess I’m not ready to fire up the Chuck’s guide on the Fishbed just yet