Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Play the training missions. Sadly they aren’t voiced, but read them in a thick, bored russian accent.

Very nice, I’ve not had time to dive in yet. How are you enjoying it?

I like it… although, honestly, I’m not seeing where my $60 went for the new version. It plays pretty much like WOFF PE and there’s nothing that really pops out from the older product.

BOUTIQUE PRODUCT SIR

LOL yep. Absinthe of the flight sim world. I mean, there’s new stuff, but not, you know, new stuff like a new 3D engine or whatnot. The mid-war planes have been filled in with additions of the Feeb and the DH2 along with some others.

I’m not tearing my hair out with the purchase because I like supporting these guys, but I am at the end of the full-priced upgrade rope. If they do something like WOFF2 UE/PE, I won’t be buying.

You bitches, check this out:

https://youtu.be/hQ5T8P1qJGs

From now on, you and try before you buy all of DCS for two weeks™ before you have to pay dime! (Except the SP campaign content which you can easily finish in 14 days so that stands to reason imo )

Welcome everybody who has a PC and even a passing interest in military aviation. Two weeks is plenty to see if it’s for you. I wholeheartedly recommend the F-18, F-14 and MiG-21 for sit-in-the-cockpit-and-gawping.

I picked it up a long time ago. Should fire it up again because it really is a hilarious plane, much more like being strapped to the end of a rocket than any other plane I’ve tried.

I love that A-10 Cuba! aesthetic of clean simple polygons with non of that gourad shading poop seen in F-15 Strike Eagle and Fleet Defender. It’s so slick like freshly a shaved crotch.

Been excited about this for a while!

This.

I so love that era of flight sims - those had a thrill that is hard to replicate today. Not that DCS isn’t awesome, but there was a sense of discovery in those early games, of a new genre starting to really come into its own.

Microprose is really lasering in on that retro aesthetic - carrier command 2 has the same vibe and its awesome.

God damned right.

DI’s Hind and Apache sims, Su-27 Flanker, Tornado

Classics all. They will really have to screw this up badly for me not to buy it. It has my name written all over it.

I don’t think they will. Been following the developer on Twitter and he seems to be ON IT with his love of the genre and the period he’s emulating.

https://twitter.com/Why485

I mean look at this.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1381335489530200064

Holy shit what?!?!

Hmm. No fear. Flying Corps is basically just a museum piece at this point. WOFF2 basically replaces every WWI sim from RB3D on down, in terms of design and whatnot. And then there’s Flying Circus for the rivet counters and VR mavens.

If we’re gonna bring back Rowan sims, then let’s bring back unique stuff like Airpower, or provide a round of professional funding to update work on the BDG’s BOB2 patches.

I know, but seeing it on Steam makes me hope other Rowan sims might show up as well.

I love it too, and it seems ideal for VR given it would run high res at infinity frames per second!

There are no plans for VR support.

Damn.