Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Speaking of rivet counting in VR (the G2 is really good for that, it has the res to show every fook’n rivet), I just had a couple hours of co-op multiplayer fun with the DCS Mi-24 Hind, and it was awesome. We did rocket runs, landed troops, more rocket runs and nursing home of wounded birds. Oh and also a whole lot of hilarious trying and failing and ultimately succeeding in cold-starting the big cyka blyat.

It’s a thrill and a half imo.

Jolly good. New TM16000 combo came in. Time to retire my PS3 era HotasX with honors.

Haven’t bought the helo yet (I think I probably ought to get the Syria map first), but the helicopter’s Mil heritage is clear, what with the same giant banks of circuit breakers with the levers to flip a whole row of them that the Mi-8 has.

Yeah man. Remember the free trials. Have a look at both hind and syria. Hind works nicely in caucasus too by the way.

Because I am a fool I bought WOFF2. I am having a hell of a time getting my CH Pro Pedals to work with it. Even DCS’s pain in the ass axis mapping works, it’s just annoying to set up. This game, however, flat out does not work. The binding software is a kludgey nightmare to figure out, and even once I did (and installed the CH Manager software, which was not necessary for the game to see the pedals but was necessary for it accept bindings from them), it takes my axis assignment of Z-axis on the pedals to Yaw/Rudder and decides, you know what, we’re just gonna assign it to Throttle instead. In the manual they say, “having trouble with the pedals, see this forum post” and direct you to a SimHQ post (not even for WOFF, for WOTR!) which is written about as well as most technical forum posts, which is to say I’m sure it’s all very clear in the author’s head but the thread of his instructions are very hard to follow. It says, “Download my WOFF Map from the downloads section.” What fucking downloads section?! I am a registered and logged in member of SimHQ, and yet I see no downloads section anywhere. Ok, maybe I can just follow these directions? “(I’m assuming you’re familiar with CH programming).”

-_-

They have been developing this game for as far as I can tell the past 13 years, and CH Pedals were introduced in 2001 and have to be among the most popular pedal sets on the planet. How is this not a solved goddamned problem by now? Instead their official manual, acknowledging that this is an issue, directs you to some forum post and am obscure download. How in the fuck is this acceptable. Worth noting that this isn’t restricted to CH pedals, either, as three of the 13 stickied threads in their tech support forum deal specifically with rudders, none of them CH brand (there is a fourth generic “controller issues” sticky). At this point I regret the purchase.

I too have issues with my CH Pedals. I just stopped using them, and use the twist on my stick.

My stick don’t twist, and anyway I didn’t buy these pedals to sit around twisting my stick!

I’ve tried it with both CH’s software installed and not installed, and I think I had the best time of it with the software not installed.

That’s as may be, but I mentioned in my original post that I tried it at first without the software installed (unbeknownst to me…I thought I did have it installed, but when I went looking for it couldn’t find it…must have been when this was a Win 7 machine, which was a while ago, now) and it would not even assign the axis at all, as opposed to now, when it will assign it, just to the wrong function. I’ll swing by the SimHQ forums later and post, but I have very low expectations.

Sorry I missed that.

Also try their Facebook page group thing, they’re also pretty responsible there.

The thing is, I also had WOFFUE, and while I did not play a ton of it, still I got up there and tooled around, and I didn’t have this problem. I would remember something so infuriating.

A last resort, but have you tried making a virtual joystick with CH Manager? You can assign axes from multiple real controllers, so make a pretend joystick with the axes/buttons from your stick and the yaw axis from your pedals, and map that in WOFF.

(Don’t have WOFF, don’t know if that’ll work, but it’s my go-to solution for games that assume you only have one stick, like Crimson Skies and X-Wing Alliance.)

So, I did some digging into why the mapped mode button was greyed out and discovered a forum post on the Il-2 BoX forums from 2017 where a developer (I think) talks about how he contacted CH about Control Manager being broken in Windows 10, and they said the guy who developed it retired and they have no plans to continue support for it.

So I decided to totally disregard the WOFF FAQ and uninstalled the software, fuck it. Went back into WOFF and the default maps were restored (I’m pretty sure I didn’t click the button to do so!), unbound the rudder from the stick (I have no idea what it could have been assigned to there anyway, the stick only has three axes, including the throttle slider which was already bound to throttle), unbound every axis BUT rudder on the pedals, where it was already set properly by default (and I will never touch it again so help me god), and loaded up a quick mission and it worked.

@BrianRubin I don’t know what you’ve tried but apparently just uninstalling Control Manager contra the Official WOFF FAQ (lol) and leaving the default mapping in the game worked for me.

Yay!56

Kudos for perseverance man, good job.

How odd—mapped mode works for me in Windows 10. I started using it after Windows changed my joystick UUIDs when I plugged them in at the wrong time, and DCS’s awful controls mapping setup lost all my bindings.

The problem is that Control Manager is erratic under Win 10 and development on it has stopped. I found all kinds of wacky “fixes” for the mapped mode button among others being greyed out, like hitting the Windows key and just typing “store,” and a lot of people going, “wow that worked!!!” but none of them worked, not for me at least. These are also old threads (1 - 4 years) and who knows what further windows updates may have broken what once worked and for whom.

I am so sad. A guy I know has a civilian Albatross L-39 jet and has to fly it to Chicago for its annual inspection. He asked if anyone wanted to hop into his empty 2nd seat either to his refueling stop or all the way to ORD. I soooo wanted to do it, and then fly right back home, just for the experience of flying in an actual fighter jet. But my dog is sick and today was the earliest I could get her to a vet in 2 days.

I am hoping he doesn’t have a passenger when he goes back to Chicago to pick it up from inspection. I will be better prepared next time to accept this invitation.

Oh, wow, bummer. I hope the pup is okay!

Definitely do it if you get a chance. Does it have live ejection seats? (I’m thinking that’s not allowed for civilian versions…)

You really love that dog, don’t you?