Recent air combat sim recommendations?

YEah it’s something about directX stuff from that particular era that is a nightmare to get running on modern hardware. Sometimes individuals make it work, like the guy who made the patches for Klingon Academy.

The product description on Steam is not what I would have expected from a publisher trying to sell a game. The source for that description is even crazier.

Hhahaha, I know! I pointed that out to them in the Steam forums for the game, but haven’t gotten a response.

Huh? Wha? Care to elaborate?

The product description mostly discusses the game’s problems. And the reason it tells people they’re better off not trying the game it’s selling, is that it’s copy-pasted from Home of the Underdogs, an ancient abandonware site.

Along with issues with the DosBox wrapper Brian describes, I get the feeling whoever holds the rights to the game may not have put a lot of effort into this.

Yeah this is the laziest release of a game I’ve seen in a loooooooong time.

Haha i see. Well it’s an honest game description, they earned my four bucks with that alone ;)

You guys, this arrived today:

One of my all-time faves with the original box (not the boring 1.5/Amiga box). I tell y’all, the feels I got when holding this box were real. It’s one of my faves but I lost my copy ages ago, and these aren’t cheap.

I can’t wait to stream this in a couple of weeks (Megafortress first, next week).

Goddamn, there’s another one that’s a nightmare to run, all of Pixel’s sims, in fact. The comparatively ancient Janes Fighter’s Anthology is much easier to get up and running in modern Windows than these USAF and IAF.

As for Navy Strike, well, Rowan did their own things before they finally got their act together with Flying Corps, MiG Alley, and Bob2. Their sims were these really quirky things before that. And, unfortunately, they were a real shoestring shop once they did embrace 3d cards and complex sims.

Can confirm. While I had time on my hands a year or so ago I spent a few DAYS trying to get USAF and IAF running in the hopes of streaming them with absolutely no success. It was MADDENING.

Fighter’s Anthology? RAN WITH NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER.

I built ground-up Win98 boxes (oh the joy of tracking down ancient drivers) in PCem to finally get MiG Alley to run. And it kinda didn’t run. And when it did run, it ran like shit (PCem demands a monster machine for decent speed emulation).

USAF was less of a bear. But sub 5FPS frame rates don’t cut it.

Sigh yeah, I think the thing I’ll have to do is build an actual Win98SE machine at some point. I have some Voodoo2s already set aside for such a thing. Now I need a SB AWE32 next.

Had so much fun streaming Megafortress yesterday I’ve scoured ebay for more sims from that era I wanna stream. I already have A-10 Tank Killer, Tornado, F-19, 1942: PAW and TFX, but I’ve got on the way A-10 Cuba, Super VGA Harrier, Flight of the Intruder, Gunship 2000, iF-16, and Air Power: Battle in the Skies (which is a Rowan sim I’d never even HEARD of until today) on the way. I’m really excited to expand my collection and stream all of these as well!

I’ve harped on Air Power a few times. Great Sim that takes place in an alternate 1930s with Zeppelins and weird biplanes. Way ahead of its time with an interesting campaign. Sadly overlooked back in the day.

I still have the physical disk and docs for it.

OHhhhh I am VERY excited to try it then! I can’t believe I somehow completely missed it.

Also WTF with this pricing? $24.99?!?!?!

Christ I could get FCG on disk with all of its awesome documentation for the same price on eBay.

That’s… ridiculous. Flying Corps brings nothing to the table but pure nostalgia. WoFF2 (PvE) and IL2FC (PvP) absolutely wipe the floor clear of any earlier WW1 airwar contenders. There’s literally no need to play RB, RB2, KOTS, and the like unless it’s for the feels.

And since they just released Navy Strike for like $6, I personally thought FC would be around the same.

Flying corps came with a reprint of a 1917 flyihg manual. So good. I still have that.