Recent air combat sim recommendations?

Been out of flight sims for awhile. What’s the latest and greatest WW2 sim out there? Is it still IL-2?

Haven’t heard of anything new recently.

Pretty much, as no one else is really making one. There’s also:

https://www.wingsoverthereich.com

But it’s not really done yet.

It’s pretty much the IL-2 Great Battles sims, which just had a fat update at this point.

Some might argue that DCS does WW2 OK, but it’s… DCS. Which means half-implemented and randomly worked on.

Or you can just throw up your hands and go play War Thunder, which is fine as long as you avoid the play-to-win stuff.

Can anybody tell me more about these? How extensive are they? They just released two more, I guess? I had no idea these even existed. How do they compare to the payware campaigns for their WW2 sims (which are great)?

Rise of Flight is still fricken great too. I’m in no rush to move on from that one. Everything related to UI and sound is Russian in the bad way, but flying in that game just feels right.

IL-2 BoS era feels odd to me, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. There’s something about the physics or the flight model that kind of irks me. I’ve only played the DCS WW2 planes during the F2P promotions, but I’m pretty sure I like those better.

@Kolbex They’re at least as good as the paid scripted campaigns, if maybe a little less literary in the accompanying text briefings.

@MelesMeles you really oughta give Flying Circus a go, if only for VR. It is a direct descendant of Rise of Flight (as is the rest of Il-2 BoX!).

Hmmm.

Whooaaaaaaaaa

Wow. I played the hell out of Jane’s IAF

Love that game.

So after the Activision purchase completes, Microsoft will own the IP for the Dynamix flight simulators:
Red Baron
A-10 Tank Killer
Aces of the Pacific and AOTP:1946
Aces over Europe

(Plus Sierra Pro Pilot, heh)

Alas, I think Jorg and team are pretty adamantly opposed to anything combat flight related. (Witness the silly marketplace restrictions on guns on planes.)

But if MS wanted to bring me back to produce a new Aces series, I’d think about it. :)

Was that you?!

Oh, heck no. I was just a game journalist trying to convince the Aces devs that they should include the Ryan FR-1 Fireball in the 1946 add-on. :)

Hey, MS now owns I’76 and Heavy Gear!

And Gary Kitchen’s Game Maker!

As long as I don’t have to modify my autoexec.bat and config.sys to run AOTP, I would be all over a re-release.

AOTP is available via abandonware/DOS game torrent distros everywhere.

Runs perfectly under DOSBOX.

As always, I can supply… access to old sims on request :)

Yeah most DOS flight sims run like a dream under DOSBox. I was just fiddling with Megafortress and Super VGA Harrier just fine.

It’s anything Windows 95 and above that you run into problems (grumble Janes/Mig Alley grumble).

I’m pretty resigned to most Win 98 Era Sims being lost forever, or just to flaky to get running :(

I’m NEVER GIVING UP. SOMEDAY I WILL PLAY IAF AGAIN.

I meant a new AOTP, ya silly goofs.