Recent air combat sim recommendations?

So toying with Tiny Combat Arena a bit has put me in the mood to play some old sims of the era in which it’s modeling, so for the next several weeks I’m gonna stream:

• Air Power: Battle for The Skies
  • MegaFortress
  • Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe
  • Super VGA Harrier
  • Tornado
  • Gunship 2000

And maybe more. Also gonna start the old game lovefest off with some Red Storm Rising, which I never played back in the day. Can’t wait! I’m kinda tired of streaming new games so this’ll be a nice break. It’s also been fun acquiring copies of games I didn’t already have.

@BrianRubin : don’t forget microprose F-117a. That’s a real goodie. Still play it today.

Oohhhh good one, I’ll add that to the list. Thanks! Though I might do F-19 since I like that one a little more. Not sure.

TFX (video game) - Wikipedia ← I used to love this one back in the days. It was one of the most intense love hate relationships I ever had. Loved it because, heck Eurofighter, Raptor and Nighthawk in one SIM and it had what felt like deep system modelling and modern 3D graphics, dream come true for teenage me. However the hate part was, it kept crashing, froze my PC, a lot. Didn’t stop me from coming back over and over and over though. Good times. :)

Ah yes of course, the precursor to EF2000. Good one.

I don’t play 'em much, but it makes me feel good to know they’re there.

Brian Likes This Post.

So I went digging through my manuals today to dig up the ones I’d be using for upcoming streams. While I couldn’t, shockingly, find my Tornado manual, I did find this!!

So now I can stream it without worry! Yay!

Edit: I know it’s not recent but where else am I gonna put this?

Man I played the hell out of that game… it ran in CGA for a start. Also from the era where the manual described a level of detail that simply didn’t exist in the game - eg. the whole section on nap-of-the-earth flying :)

Doesn’t it also include a stat-block for a human in the list of military hardware? “Fuel type: K-ration”

I’ll have to look in the morning.

These are pretty much the only oldies I have in original packaging. Everything else is either digital distro or stolen off the intarwebs

Jelly, wish I had room for all those boxes. I have the disks and manuals of course. The binder F4 manual is one of the prizes of my collection.

Yup it sure does:

Man
Crew: 1
Length: Variable
Width: 285mm Semi-Fixed (Average - depends on rank)
Height: 1.8m (Average)
Max Speed on Road: 18 km/hr
Range: 8kpk (Kilometers per K-ration)
Engine Power: 0.1hp
Armament: SA-7 missiles, SA-14 missiles, AK-47

Hilarious.

More acquisitions.

For anyone who cares:

Wings Over Flanders Fields 2 has a new patch, v1.22, that now has photo and arty data collection missions. There’s new photo, notes, and drop-bag functionality.

Now’s that’s a spicy meatball complete WW1 sim for ya

Holy shit time for a reinstall.

Their pics always look so much better than 1 ever looked for me. I might have to grab 2, and play around with the settings.

I’m a rotorhead, so of course I had to get the DCS Apache. (I’ll have to get the Hind, too, eventually, but the Apache is an easier sell to my flight-simming friends.)

Of course, my desktop was out of service for six or eight months, so I had to update DCS…

MSFS says hello.

If I take time off from simming I make sure to fire up every now and then to stay up to date with patches to avoid mega downloads like that.

Again not recent, but I’ve been looking for an affordable copy of this forEVER. Got it for literally $20.

I cannot wait to read all these wonderful manuals.

2 Likes