Recent air combat sim recommendations?

What happens in the simulator stays in the simulator

Okay, I definitely need to unpack my TrackIR. Itā€™s a bit cumbersome trying to look around the cockpit with the keyboard.

Also, I donā€™t seem to be great at following the tutorials.

Yeah they are brittle scripts. Need to be on point and stick to it. I never get them right first go. Just shut the server down, had a blast going after harriers and a mirage F1 in a MiG-21.

Yeah, I typically try to follow the tutorials as best as I can, but end up watching a YouTube tutorial as well

Quickest way to find out how to do things is in a multiplayer environment with open comms. But the best way to actually ingrain the knowledge is those tutorials followed by regular exercise until it becomes ā€œthe way of doing thingsā€.

Its funny how across different machines some lessons and systems stay relevant. Certain navigation systems, or the way you activate weapons on the MiGs. Of course lining up a runway and greasing a touchdown is only marginally different between different fighters. If you can land a viper, you certainly can land a hog or a hornet.

So, yeah.

I just spent another 90 bucks on DCS.

Basically had to buy the Syria map, as a lot of things use it, and it is supposedly super great. And the super-carrier was 40% off (probably still is) so I got a new baby to launch my F-18 from.

My Digital Integration collection is now complete.

Flash sale on the DCS store!

I already picked up Syria and an F-18 campaign, and Iā€™m pretty keen on getting a campaign for Harrier too.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the available campaigns, Hormuz Freedom and Sky Warrior?

I found Hormuz Freedom ā€¦ not very good. Itā€™s ok I guess, but nowhere near the stuff Baltic Dragon and Ground Pounder Sims put out. But those donā€™t have harrier campaigns out (yet) afaik. Very good ones for Hog and Hornet though!

A shame. I grabbed Hormuz anyway as I wanted one of them while on sale, and pickings are slim for AV-8B. :(

Not for long, and itā€™s workable. I got about five flights in until I hit a refuelling wall. Too rusty to do it reliably, and the script depends on it.

AFAIK thereā€™s a bunch of scripted campaigns in the works for the harrier, and itā€™s a natural fit for the (still in dev) dynamic campaign. I wonder if theyā€™ll ever solve some of the weird performance bottlenecks in the ancient DCS code, straighten out AI, if you could code ā€œCarrier Commandā€ in DCS mission script. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you can.

Awful if true. Hopefully they will be utilized for their skills and not sent to the front as cannon fodder.

Goddammit. I want this shit to be over, Putin be gone and Russia rejoining the free world again :(

That really blows. I hope the best for them.

Bought a couple campaigns, the Persian gulf map and Combined Arms during the sale.

Still wondering what other modules I should pick up. I am hesitant to buy more, as I have FC3 and the F/A-18 right now. I am still learning to use those, I got flight/landing down, but now is the very complicated part of learning radar etc.

Seeing a lot of the hype around Cold War stuff makes me want to check out the MiG-21 and F-5, they are both 30$ each now. (50% off)

I suppose I could wait for the winter sale, butā€¦

There are some great arguments here, as well as a bunch of really popular PvP/PvE servers set up in the cold war era. I really want to try out the Enigma PvP server, but I only have the A-10C and SU-25 that are allowed on that server.

I love the F-5. A relatively simple little hot rod. The MiG-21 is a good buy if you want to test your landing skills. :) Thereā€™s a learning curve for that one. I need to go back and fly it some more.

I am really looking forward to the F-4 coming out.

The MiG by a country mile. It oozes character.

Same! But as an Australian Iā€™d be most keen on an F-111, which was an icon of the skies around here before they were phased out. Iā€™m sure one was rumoured as being in development at some point.

Flying the F-4 while waiting for the F-111 would at least be historically accurate for the RAAF :)

ā€œBattle of Normandyā€ expansion out of EA for IL2:GB

ā€œ8 Battle of Normandy Aircraft (P-51B/C, P-47D ā€œRazorbackā€, Typhoon Mk.Ib, Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI, Bf 109 G-6 ā€œLateā€, Fw 190 A-6, Ju 88 C-6a and Me 410)ā€

Ohh, the ā€œGustavā€

edit: why I canā€™t fly