Recent air combat sim recommendations?

I still remember getting U.S. Navy Fighters for Christmas when I was young. I read the whole manual on the way home from a family Christmas party, only to find out I didn’t have enough memory to run it on my old Pentium 75mhz when I got home :( Memmaker was such a pain in the ass!

OH, yes plz. If I won the lottery I’d personally hire Andy Hollis and give him a ton of money and say “have at it, make Longbow 3 plz.”

Hell yes!!

I too miss the glory days of Janes and Microprose. Big manuals, great sims, and not one hint of console-itis.

Scharmers is right on - but I happen to also really like Lock-On Modern Combat.

I gave LockOn a try, have the fanboi’s epic manual and everything, but I just have a hard time with modern jet sims. First, I can’t evade a missile for shit, and second, I just like the twisty-turney furballs of ww1 + 2 … yes, the kind the boom n zoom aces say you should never let yourself wind up in.

I am looking forward to giving DCS:Black Shark a try when it comes out… as I understand, the russian version is out oct17th.

Psh … Longbow. You bunch of johnny come latelys. Us old folks played Gunship, by Microprose, while we listened to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins. And we fucking liked it.

sniff

A three page flightsim thread on QT3. Group hug, everybody.

Pfft, I was right there with ya buddy, so don’t assume. :P

And yes, big group hug!

I still remember rating old sims by their keyboard overlay. Man that was some old stuff. So this is QT3 right? Who do we have to drag into this thread to convince gambling on a new flight sim game?

OMG KEYBOARD OVERLAYS! Aahhh, those were awesome. I think the one to F-19 Stealth Fighter was my all-time fave.

320x200 VGA and AdLib music?

I assume you mean Secret Weapons Over Normandy…

Check out this video with Bill Stealey and F19 during the lead up to the first Gulf War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuKpK8lgBH4

There’s also a bunch of DosBox vids of old sim classics on YouTube these days. Just type in your favorite title and chances are there will be some intro and gameplay footage.

OMG…I played ALL of those games back in “the day.” Wow…

Oh, oh, oh! Mr. Kotter, here’s another video of our old favorites, this time from The Computer Chronicles (1990) featuring sims from Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte!

All right, how many of you logged enough missions in F-19 to be promoted to Brigadier General? Also, how many of you actually won the CMOH? Sadly, I had a long enough F-19 career to get the former, but the highest decoration I received was a Flying Cross.

Gunship 2000 for the win! I used to grieve when all the little guys on my team (all with custom names) would get creamed. But then I’d train a bunch of new recruits and keep at it again.

Gunship 2000.

Besides the Microprose sims, I was always a huge fan of the Aces series by Dynamix. I must have bunked school to play Aces of The Pacific more than any other game back in the day. They weren’t the most hardcore sims but they were a lot of fun.

Pacific Air War 1942 was also excellent and I loved the strategic layer. Playing carrier cat and mouse with the Japanese was great.

The pain never seems to go away…

-CJ

Good luck getting Andy out of his race car. I can hear him laughing now…

-CJ