Recent Flu vaccine experiences

Even if the flu shot is only 30% effective, why not get it? It takes 10 minutes and it’s free in tons of places. CVS even gives you a $10 coupon, so they’re paying you for your time.

If ever there was a year to get the flu vaccine, this is it. You really don’t want to pick up the flu if you get COVID-19. Thoughts of that keep public health professionals awake at night.

@Clay Or if hospitals are already operating at capacity.

@legowarrior they also say the vaccine is more effective if you don’t get it every year (so you are screwed), which seems rather contradictory. Tbh, that article has a number of statements that don’t pass the sniff test. The actual study might be better.

I’ve gotten the shot every year for at least the last decade. Always soreness in the arm for a day or two, and occasionally I run a slight temperature for a day or so (that happened last year but is not common). Never felt legitimately ill, just a bit sub-par, which I took as a sign that my body was actually doing something productive.

Always shot, always slightly sore arm. No big deal, get it.

I got a flu injection for the first time this year. No noticeable side effects.

Haven’t had the flu since, but then with trying to avoid the more virulent coronavirus I would hope the social distancing protects me from contracting flu too. :)

Doesn’t hurt to get the shot just in case though, it’s free (over here in Au).

Shot only, like others, worst I’ve had is some light soreness for a day or so.

I’m wondering how they’ll give them out this year. Drive up flu vaccines, I guess?

i.e. I’m not going anywhere near a doctor’s office or inside a pharmacy unless it’s life-threatening.

I’ve been getting mine at a drive-up for years. Drive up, stick your arm out, get the shot, away you go. Whole thing takes 3 minutes, minimal human contact.

Shot, 10+ years running. Arm is sore for a few days, no other symptoms.

I’d like to mention you’re not just getting the flu shot for yourself. You’re also contributing to potentially stop the virus from spreading from you to others if the vaccine in any given year is accurate.

Even if there was less than a 1% chance it could help protect an at-risk individual, I would always, always take those odds - no matter the inconvenience to myself.

I haven’t ever seen it around here but I expect them to do it this year.

Shot at a work event. No negative effects, not even a sore arm.

Past I’ve never gotten one but since I’m now 63 my wife convinced me it was a good idea to start getting it.

I have had them regularly for years now. I usually stop in at the grocery store pharmacy to get the shot and then go shopping. Just sore muscles for a couple of days.

I’ve gotten them a couple of times over the past few years, always at a drugstore like Walgreens. If I have any adverse affects it’s always been soreness in the arm from the shot, but nothing more. Usually not even that as the needles they use now are so small. Don’t even feel the shot, actually…

I will be honest. I have never gotten a flu shot, that I know of. I also, again as far as I can recall, have never had the flu. (1)

Having said that, I will be getting one this year. With my luck I will contract Covid while doing it.

(1) I may have had both as a child. I just don’t remember it.

I get one every year usually, but i think i missed 2019s. I get them done at work. They are the passive ones that take a while to work. No side effects, not even a sore arm.

Good, everybody should get the shot. Everybody. If you have an egg allergy get the live attenuated shot instead.

Do they have a shot mixed with… an agent… that would avoid the pain? Like an opioid maybe? Asking for a friend.

What pain? I’d put it below walking into the corner of the bed at night and knocking my shin, that hurts. The jab doesnt. You dont hop about for 5 mins swearing.