Recent or not so recent shooters

Unfortunately in the case of Tribes the single player demo is very weak- it comes off more like a multiplayer bot match. Not very indicative of the single player campaign IMO (unless they’ve since changed the demo).

[quote=“Peter_Olafson”]

Or even $30. I enjoyed each of those games more than I enjoyed Doom 3. Chrome’s a nice alternative to Halo and while I was under-whelmed by the demos for Chaser, it just gets better and better as the game progresses. :)

Peter[/quote]

$30? We’re talking Canadian dollars here, right?

I hate to say it because it would be my immediate recommendation, but Painkiller requires 384MB of RAM, so tromik, you can’t play it without an upgrade.

It’s honestly just about worth whatever it’ll cost you to get the additional RAM required, though.

Oh yeah, having said that… I’d go with NOLF 2, UT2K4 or Jedi Academy, personally.

It’s times like this that I wish this forum had larger fonts.

Tell me about it. And the expansion is coming out in like a week or two! Woo hoo! Dreamcatcher’s “Post Mortem” has been a huge disappointment for me, so I can’t wait to get back into a good DC game.

Aliens versus Predator 2 is pretty decent and looks nice on max detail, which your machine should be able to handle fine. It’s a bit generic to start (though well done withal) but perks up about halfway through the human campaign. I also really like the differences between the three campaigns in playstyle and interface design. Cheap, too - definitely worth $10-20.

NOLF2, Unreal 2, Vietcong.

Another vote for Vietcong, you can probably get it with the expansion pretty cheap now. In my opinion its in the same class but superior to Call of Duty. Not that Call of Duty is a bad game, I just think Vietcong is better.

Finished. First one any good? Expansion?

Unreal 2 was ok, but I bought it for the super unpopular XMP. The maps were huge and you could never find any one, it was like real like.

I finished Vietcong, traded it in, regretted it, bought Purple Haze (Vietcong + First Alpha). FA runs like CRAP on my computer.

Was the cheap-o budget Vietnam game released around the same time any good?

don’t forget the fan made single player mods for half-life. there are a couple good ones, but the one i liked the best was “pieces like us”, you can google for the downlaod. very fun, with a great “half-life” vibe that really captured the original game’s feel.

basically the story is that the scientists and xen made peace and they built a base where they work together. in the intial scene you see cool stuff like scientists running scans over the sac monster.

there is also one weird ass detour that was way more fun than xen in the original game if only for the weirdness factor.