Recent price increases in the US?

Yeah, I visited the one a few miles from my home in FL and was really, really underimpressed. It didn’t seem to be particularly cheaper than the Winn Dixie that is closer, and the selection was frankly terrible.

Winco is more than a suitable replacement. Coming from the Midwest where Aldi was common, Winco surpasses it in most measures, except the low cost imported German foods and random deal items. The bulk bins and better produce>>>Aldi.

Oh yeah, I grabbed a few of those last week.

They were great.

I picked up some hot honey a few weeks ago that was amazing.

Speaking of the special buys, their kitchen gadgets always seem to work out well for me.

Nearly 15 years ago, I got an espresso machine for 25 dollars. One of thos 50% deals. It last about 7 years. Probably could have gotten a few more years out of it, but it took up to much room in the house.

I’m shocked by the price differences I see between Winco and Safeway for the exact same items. Not that I’d ever take that as an indication Safeway is price gouging. I’ll just assume that Winco somehow miraculously has better buying power even though they’re way smaller than Safeway.

At least here (SF Bay Area) Safeway’s regular prices on items are the worst, but their big sale prices are unbeatable. I don’t see anywhere else around here regularly offering choice NY strip for $5/lb, ground beef for $1.66/lb, and such, particularly in today’s inflated environment. I think it is just a different business model.

So I sale shop at Safeway and get non-sale stuff elsewhere (e.g., Trader Joe’s or Sprouts).

I got to reading the wikipedia entry on Aldi the other day because a coworker asked me a question about them. I found out some interesting things. Like the fact that it was two brothers who founded it, and then had a disagreement over whether to sell cigarettes or something, and then they split and formed Aldi North and South. The one we’re familiar with in the U.S. is Aldi South. But Aldi North also has a presence in the U.S., but as Trader Joe’s. Woah. I had no idea Trader Joe’s was Aldi too.

Man, the Trader Joe’s brother sure got the better end of that deal.

Yeah, it’s got an interesting history. Also, they got some interesting copycats out there. Lidl is starting to show up in places in the US, which is interesting.

It has got to be interesting if you are living right on the border between South and North. I wonder how much they differ?

Oddly enough, Aldi in Italy only opened up in 2018.

Probably because Trader Joe’s was started in the 60s here in the U.S., and then bought by Aldi North in 1979. I think they smartly kept that store’s identity and it’s served them well.

When I first got to the U.S. in 91, I hated Aldi. It was dark in there, and I never found anything good there. Even as a poor college student I didn’t want to go back. But they really turned their stores around in the mid to late 90s. More bright lights, better products, better image. I have been a fan since then.

Nothing beats the Dassler Brothers Feud

Puma ftw!

Headline inflation still high and worse than consensus.

But thats the UK.

It’s just as bad here. And it’s price gouging. Here’s a cool podcast about it:

No, it can’t be price gouging! Price gouging is unpossible. Markets don’t permit it!

TLDR: We permit it because we keep buying all their shit. Want prices to come down? Stop buying things.

Ya, that’s how prices work.

Exactly, it’s quite rude of all those diabetics to keep buying insulin and thus keep the prices jacked. And don’t even get me started on infants and formula.

Another voice in favor of the “eat your bootstraps” policy:

she was asked what she would say to consumers who could not afford to pay for basics such as the ingredients of a cheese sandwich.

“Well then you don’t do the cheese sandwich,” Widdecombe replied. “None of it’s new. We’ve been through this before. The problem is we’ve been decades now without inflation, we’ve come to regard it as some kind of given right.”