Recent rise in smash-and-grab crimes

We will all pay for this in one way or another, so rooting for it is kind of self flagellation. Whether it be increased costs in the store, increased policing costs, insurance costs etc, we will all pay for it.

Well, if you say so, I guess…just responding to the article you posted, which prominently features decriminalization as part of the reason for the rise in these crimes.

My first reaction to this is one of extreme skepticism given the history of crime reporting in this country (and the political ends said reportage serves). The article cites only a small number of seemingly disconnected and perhaps ultimately isolated incidents. It does not look like a significant issue, so it’s hard to get too worked up over it. It’s easier to chalk it up to selective reporting and fear mongering at this point.

Just read this quote a few times and draw some conclusions about the intent of the article:

One reason for this is law enforcement’s lack of resources, which means theft cases sometimes are put on the back burner, he said. And, he added, the “defund the police” movement has sapped some officers’ morale.

It has led to an increase in auto theft as many are not considered felonies anymore, Guys get arrested and then released and have been re-arrested within days.

I’m okay with that.

I do think right now these are isolated incidents that did happen during the riots a couple years ago. It is also big on Fox News.

Unless it is your car being stolen. Car theft is one of those serial crimes, where the same guys do it over and over again. No doubt a means to fund drug buys.

I suspect some of the posters in this thread haven’t ever been the victim of a serious crime or perhaps even known a close family member or friend who has.

I’ve had my apartment broken into before. Don’t assume shit. Sir.

Were you home? Were you cool with it and did you sympathize with them and help them pack up your stuff? These crimes aren’t victimless. People have been threatened and assaulted.

Are you willing to walk up to someone who was a victim in one of these and tell them that you’re “kinda okay with this” because they worked for a major retailer?

This is maybe the shittiest take on the P&R forum in a very long time, and I don’t say that gladly by any means.

Yourrrrreeee welcome.

I wasn’t home, but it was totally our fault. My girlfriend at the time left our patio door open when we left. Thankfully they only stole replaceable stuff and didn’t damage anything irreplaceable.

This is pretty much my initial gut take.

Statistics, not anecdota. How many incidents are there, how many were there before, is there a change in underlying causes, etc. This story is too pat, too clearly aligned to a narrative, and has all the hallmarks of creating a perception.

Not saying the incidents didn’t happen, just that I would not be too quick to accept the narrative being spun here.

Why would someone burglarizing your house be your fault? Others are not responsible for their own actions?

That’s what the CEOs want you to think. Some truth behind it, but it’s far from the whole story.

I think being concerned about this is not the order above justice that I frequently get angry at what I see it here all the time, but I definitely am wary of buying any of the narrative the CEOs here are selling.

The narrative is definitely racialized as well. Notice that their closures have been nearly entirely in low-income minority neighborhoods.

This is kinda a pick your poison situation, if you crack down on this, you’re going to get a lot of police shaking down innocent folks and folks being unjustly imprisoned and accused, If you don’t, you get anarchy and small-scale looting, with a corrupt police force looking the other way because they’re throwing a tantrum.

Dude, it’s not your fault if people come into your house and steal your shit.

It’s the criminals’ fault.

Stealing shit is not ok.

Maybe it’s be Use I’m drunk but I feel that leavic our place wide open invited it. I’m not saying they were right to do it, but we should have taken better care.

Heh.

I get where the sentiment comes from. I understand the underlying frustrations.

But yeah, this is something that has all kinds of rippling consequences, I’m afraid.

We were burglarized many years ago. They came in thru a back window. Luckily my wife and 1 year old were away from the house at the time, but I do think they beat my dog.