Recent Western Digital HDD experiences?

Right, but cheap enough, unless you keep a ton of games installed simultaneously.

Correct, you crack open the plastic and pull the drive out.

For me that extra space isn’t worth it for the price. My latest system is all SSD and I never want a spinning disk for anything outside of backups again. Not waiting in long load screens is worth it.

I have a wd black 7200 rpm drive for gaming, and it has been rock solid.

SSDs are cheaper for sure, but still twice the price for a 2 tb drive.

Thanks! I always had problems duplicating disks (mainly because the disk I am trying to duplicate is also running.)

Partitioning isn’t the same as drive cloning or imaging though.

I’ve often used this tool–extremely handy–it can copy partitions as well as resize them.

https://gparted.org/

The one I mentioned above does cloning as well as re-partitioning. I think GParted requires creating a bootable USB or CD.

Indeed it does require making a bootable USB (or CD, if old-school).

I believe someone else mentioned it earlier, but on Windows I recommend Macrium Reflect Free.

Yes, that was me. Macrium is great. Acronis has loaded on the bloat in recent years.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

But @Chappers’s recommendation was fantastic. The 250GB to 500GB disc duplication went without any issues. It rebooted into a commandline mode to finish the disk duplication because I was copying my Windows System disk. Worked perfectly!

Thanks!

Well this is lovely, another manufacture doing a lets swap a part or two, no one will notice. And sell it as the same product.

The NAND flash downgrade may not affect the average consumer since it’s unlikely that the user will constantly fill the 12GB SLC cache. However, you’ll certainly notice the lower performance if you move huge files a lot, such as 4K video files or big compressed archives. In any event, it doesn’t excuse Western Digital for degrading the NAND.

I liked WD better when they were Quantum and Maxtor!