Recommend a Digital Photo Frame

I’m looking to buy two digital photo frames for gifts. I really would like one that allows me to upload/manage photos remotely. In other words, these are for our mothers and we’d like to upload photos of our expected bundle of joy for them. Probably goes without saying that simple is better for the moms.

We don’t have heaps of cash to spend and would like to keep the cost of two frames below $300. Amazon has a decent deal on this Kodak frame. It looks pretty much like what we want, but I’m a little gun-shy that Kodak will pull support for this right after I buy it.

The other option I found was this Cevia Frame The price is good, but it is a subscription model and I’m not really keen on that.

Anyone have any experience with these things?

Years later, but I just got this on a whim…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FWQ7M2G/

… and I really like it. Inexpensive, fairly slim design, nice IPS screen, simple “plug in usb key, auto-play all media you find” setup with an EZ user interface. There is also a motion sensor so it can power down when nobody is around, and a little remote so you can tweak it without touching the back.

I actually just ordered the pricier cloud connected version. Giving it to my father on Sunday. Im setting it up tomorrow evening sometime. I use Google photos, and it seems I’ll be able to link it to my account and send pics to it and the grandparents place without anyone needing to fuss on it. I’ll report back as to how painful (or not) it is to manage. The Wirecutter recommends it.

I was going to do the wifi version, but the fact that it can’t dynamically pull from a shared cloud folder was a total dealbreaker for me.

I just want it to grab photos (and videos) at random from a giant pool, and that is exactly what it does with local USB or SD card, but for the cloud support you have to explicitly add photos in a certain place for them to appear…

I hear you. That would be ideal. However, according to the review, it’s not particularly onerous (other than the fact you have to do it at all) to pull pics from Google photos to the frame via the Nix account site. Since my pops is a few hours away, I don’t mind updating it every couple of weeks w the latest images.

Yeah if it is for a relative in another location that makes sense.