Recommend me 70s movies

I think somehow something slipped through the cracks and I got away with watching The Deer Hunter at Eight or Nine Years old. Well, that explains a lot…

Bronson was in Great Escape? I didn’t remember that. Of course, I wasn’t familiar with him back when I used to watch the Great Escape at least once a year for a decade.

The guy who was like a chief digger: Danny ‘Tunnel King’. I think he is Polish, or they so imply. Slight accent.

http://www.konbini.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/4/files/2015/08/charles-bronson--810x345.jpg

EDIT: Dug around a little, the character is Polish, Flight Lt. Danny Velinski, but supposedly based on this real life Canadian pilot. (Canadians, @marquac …pssst…).

Ah yes. That character. Nice. I wish I had access to the Great Escape now. Such a great movie. It used to be on TBS all the time, and I never gave up the opportunity to watch it again. That’s the one thing I miss about having cable. Being able to watch movies like The Great Escape, and Signs, and Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile.

“He’s like Charles Bronson in The Great Escape: he’s diggin’ tunnels.” – Quentin Tarantino talking about Madonna’s “Like A Virgin” in the beginning of Reservoir Dogs

Anybody mentioned this already?

Excellent film and not as well known.

Very nice. I had never heard of that. Looks like it’s available for streaming on Starz, so I added it to the list under Starz.

The Starz list is growing big enough that I can now envision one day getting a month of Starz to go through those movies.

Bronson was near perfect in Mr. Majestyk.

it bored me. I just find that whole 70s action persona of his dull and colorless.

He wasn’t an action persona, he was a guy who just wanted to get his melons in. Anyway, reasonable people can disagree.

Agree. I’ll say this; Bronson becoming an action hero franchise by essentially playing himself in every action film is a uniquely 70s phenomenon. He has no looks or natural charisma. And he isn’t really “acting” per se. He just has a mild sense of menace in those films.

Didn’t like Hard Times then?

No that I liked, but that is a period piece and has Coburn in it as well.

It’s his modern day action hero crap in the 70s that makes me want to take a power nap. Like I said, I like him, just not that specific genre with him carrying the (sorta) franchise.

Three Days of the Condor
Heaven’s Gate

The former is good and has the added bonus of Max von Sydow giving an acting clinic in about 5 minutes of screen time.

The latter has a bad rap, but it’s a gorgeous film with great performances all around. Just a bit too long, but if I trip over it while channel surfing, I can’t resist it.

I read the novel. It was 4 decades ago, so I barely remember it, but as I recall the film abandons the novel at about midway point and goes off in its own direction. This was probably good in theory - the second half of the novel was bad in its own right - but of course the movie screwed the pooch too.

There were like two sequels right? I read those a billion years ago I think.

Yes, I think so. Witches with broomsticks or something, right?

Yeah, “witches” and a showdown with the Computer, IIRC.

Good god, as bad as I barely remember.

Not as bad as Quintet!!!