Recommend me 70s movies

Both terrific.

Superman rivals The Incredibles as my favorite superhero flick. I think Hackman’s comical take on Lex Luthor was a miscalculation, but the first half is absolutely pitch perfect.

Notice that both have the Ned Beatty connection? :) It was Freudian.

Ha, true. Of course, his greatest moment is in Network. What a fucking scene.

Staying with Voight:

The Odessa File

I admit I haven’t seen The Candidate, but some folks swear by it.

That’s hard to argue with. The one color film I would put up as a rival would be Black Narcissus.

On the black and white side, a few pop into mind, like Citizen Kane, Sweet Smell of Success, maybe even Rebecca.

But Days of Heaven is about as sensually gorgeous as a movie gets.

It’s OK. I find some of Michael Ritchie’s choices curious in that shot-wise.

Yes. How did I forget this one?

I would put The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford up there as maybe the closest to Days of Heaven in my book.

The Wild Geese It’s kinda the Expendables if the Expendables aged like normal humans, and not 80’s action stars who stay in great shape in the hope of a movie career comeback.
It’s also a much more enjoyable film, it also has Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Roger Moore and I’m sure a bunch of other actors who’s name begins with R.

I’ll also nominate A Bridge Too Far. Solid WWII epic about Operation Market Garden with the most ridiculous cast ever:

Gene Hackman
Laurence Olivier
Robert Redford
James Caan
Elliot Gould? I feel like Elliot Gould might be lurking in there somewhere

and a bunch of others I can’t think of at the moment.

Also, although I didn’t like The Great Santini as much as some, it might be worth viewing if only for Robert Duvall’s performance in the title role.

Peter Fox, Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery, Maximilian Schell. :)

Gould was in it. He wants “the Bailey Crap”.

Historically on point as well.

Annie Hall

Ew. Disjointed, and tonally all over the place.

I’m not sure if we’re allowed to recommend Manhattan in this post-me-too world, but … I still have to recommend it. Ok yes fine Isaac is technically committing statutory rape with Mariel Hemingway. But… but … hmm. IT WAS THE 70s

Agreed all around, it’s a legendary car chase, up there with Bullitt and Ronin. And I love car chases. Love.

I think the whole Woody Allen body of work from the Seventies should be mentioned. Maybe excepting Take the Money and Run and The Front, and maybe not.

Woody Allen Seventies could be its own thread.

Whether or not a 40+ year-old sleeping with a 17-year-old is morally sound (I’d argue: not really), it’s technically not statutory rape in New York…the age of consent there is 17 (yes, I’ve had this discussion about Manhattan before).

Huh! Never knew that.

I think the movie is debating that very point.